Chapter 69 Shen Mo has a way

"Master, I'll take you there." Jiang Wei waited at the door early with the ox cart, and saw Zhou Jing hurriedly greeted him.

Coming out of the back door, the autumn wind had already blown the maple leaves all over the place, and the fiery red maple leaves covered the long street, adding a touch of glamour. However, after turning around the long street and not walking a few steps, all that was left was the devastated, pot-strewn dirt road that seemed to come to the countryside.

Going through a few long streets, the majestic county office stands on it. It is obviously just a building, but it has an inexplicable majesty.

The bullock cart does not stop at the main gate of the county yamen, but bypasses the yamen and stops in the backyard.

"Master, there are a lot of cars parked in front of the county magistrate's back door. It seems that they are all businessmen like us."

Zhou Jing opened the car curtain and saw that on the long street in the county magistrate's backyard, there were many cars next to each other. A dozen cars have been parked. The carriages of these cars are all dressed up in luxury and luxury, and at a glance it can be seen that they are popular among merchants.

And there can be five or six of these carriages.

Because of the war in the early years, a large number of horses were pulled into the battlefield, and the casualties were countless, and the supply was in short supply. In order to ensure that there are horses available on the battlefield and soldiers have horses to ride, the imperial court once collected untrained horses from the people and sent them to the battlefield. During that time, people rarely saw horses, let alone carriages.

Later, when the new emperor succeeded to the throne, the war was subsided, and a large number of horses were no longer needed on the battlefield, so the policy on the use of horses by the people was gradually relaxed.

However, even if the policy is relaxed, horses are still very precious and rare. If a wealthy private merchant wants to buy a horse, it is not possible to buy a horse with money, but a guarantor is required. This kind of guarantor has never existed in any dynasty before the dynasty, and it is a unique new product of the dynasty's successive wars.

Not everyone can be a guarantor. Only scholars, scholars who are well-known, or officials with official positions, can become guarantors, and merchants are only allowed to buy horses under their guaranty.

This policy was originally promulgated to prevent merchants from buying a large number of horses during the war, and then transporting the horses from the north of the dynasty to the outside of the dynasty, selling them to the opposite country of the dynasty or other small countries, and wantonly making a windfall in the war.

Since the beginning of the dynasty, scholars, peasants, businessmen, and merchants have been ranked at the bottom of the list, thinking that most merchants are opportunistic, treacherous and greedy people. The dynasty is most worried about such people, thinking that they can betray anything as long as they have interests. However, the scholars who have read the books of the sages are loyal to the monarch, loyal to the country, and knowledgeable. Only they can understand the true character of the merchant under the cunning appearance. With their burden, it can be proved that the merchant buys horses for his own use, not for profit. Only then did the imperial court allow horse dealers to sell to them, and even the documents for the transfer of the horses must have the name of the guarantor.

Therefore, being able to own a carriage among merchants is not only a symbol of wealth, but also a symbol of status.

Looking at the carriages parked at the entrance of the county government office, Zhou Jing guessed that these businessmen invited by the county magistrate today are the leaders of all walks of life. He skipped a lot of guesses in his mind, but none of them seemed to him the closest.

"Big brother." An ox cart approached behind him, Zhou Jing turned around and saw Wang Ren jumping out of the ox cart.

Zhou Jing was surprised: "Why are you here?"

"It was the county magistrate who sent the yamen to notify me, and I didn't find out why. I thought I had done something, but I didn't expect to bump into it as soon as I got to the door. Big brother. I think the big brother was also invited by the county magistrate, right?"

Zhou Ding looked at the head, but he was even more confused in his heart.

Wang Rendao: "It seems that the owners of these vehicles parked here should be businessmen like you and me. I just don't know what the county magistrate is, so he called us all here?"

Zhou Jing shook his head, "I'll know in a while."

"Yes." Wang Ren turned to the driver and said, "These 20 copper coins are a lot of rewards for you, please go to Zhouji Cooked Food and report a letter, saying that I met my eldest brother. Now, the county magistrate invited not only me and my eldest brother, but also more than a dozen businessmen, tell my husband not to worry." The

driver happily agreed with more than 20 copper plates.

"Let's go." Zhou Jing took the lead and Wang Ren followed behind. The two went up the steps and knocked on the back door of the county magistrate's house.

"This is our invitation, the county magistrate asked us to come." Zhou Jing handed the post the yamen gave him to the concierge, the concierge glanced at it hastily, and put it into his sleeve.

"Come with me here."

Zhou Jing Wang Ren lowered his eyebrows and followed the doorman, not daring to look around, and went straight into the hall all the way. There were already more than a dozen people sitting or standing in the hall.

When they saw Zhou Jing and the two come in, they looked at each other with all their eyes, looking at Zhou Jing up and down.

Among these people, most of Zhou Jing did not know each other, and the only two who knew each other were only acquaintances, nodding acquaintances. After nodding lightly with the two of them, after saying hello, Zhou Jing found an inconspicuous place to sit down.

As Zhou Jing took his seat and the gazes gathered around him shifted, he had time to observe other businessmen in the hall. Most of them, Zhou Jing, are aware of it, and they occupy the top positions in almost all walks of life. Each of them is a wealthy and wealthy person who has at least a few decades of background in Liuzhen, and he is only working in Liuzhen. After more than half a year of business, he was invited by the county magistrate to be with these people. Zhou Jing was not only secretly shocked, whether he jumped up too fast, and whether he would attract the attention of others.

However, these Zhou Jing can't be seen from the faces of these businessmen who are doing business well. At this moment, they all seem to be wearing human skin masks, sitting quietly in their seats, and whispering a word. At most, one or two familiar people silently exchange one or two glances that others do not understand.

Wang Ren, a country man, had never experienced this before, and felt a little uneasy. He wanted to open his mouth to say something to ease the tension in his heart, but was held back by Zhou Jingwei shaking his head. Only then did he realize that the hall was so quiet that the needles could be heard falling, but the air was like a taut string, only lively in his heart.

After that, a few more merchants came one after another, and the Grand Master of Kung Fu County, who asked to touch a cup of tea, walked out slowly accompanied by the master.

The county magistrate was forty or fifty years old, with outstanding features, medium height, slender stature, and a romantic figure. Today, she is wearing a plain-clothes robe embroidered with proud and arrogant plums.

The first man stood up first and bowed: "Sir." The others followed and stood up and bowed. Zhou Jing and Wang Ren were among them, trying to minimize their sense of presence.

The county magistrate smiled kindly and said: "Everyone, get up, don't be too polite. Today, I would like to ask you all to go over to the house for a private chat. Don't be polite."

Everyone got up one after another. Standing still, I was surprised that I didn't know whether it was true or not, and asked everyone to take a seat again. The dozen or so businessmen in this hall also didn't know the truth, but they all sat down with respect and honor.

One of them, Qian, is a businessman. His family is in the restaurant business. He has a big business. Not only in Liuzhen, but also in several nearby towns, there are restaurants in his family. His roots are very deep. Since the water was born, now he is sixty years old, but he is still in good spirits, and he is considered an old man.

He got up first and said, "I don't know why the lord asked the villain to come here? If the adult has any request, the villain will do it wholeheartedly."

The county magistrate said gently: "Although calling you here this time is a private matter, it is actually a public matter. Generally speaking, it is for the people and for the imperial court."

With such a big high hat down, everyone knew it. Zhou Jing touched the silver note in his sleeve without a trace, and had a bottom line in his heart. He didn't move his head, his eyes turned to Wang Ren, he looked at him out of the corner of his eye, and when he saw that Wang Ren was almost invisible, he nodded, and he knew that he was also prepared, and he had a silver note on him, so he didn't have to worry.

Zhu Jianye on the right side of the county magistrate stood up with a flattering face, smiling so much that he wanted to lick his ass for the county magistrate. That kind of flattery was too heavy, and people felt nauseated for no reason at first glance.

"Sir, I would like to thank my lord for still thinking of the little people when it comes to worrying about the country and the people, so that the little people can also contribute to the people and the court. Please tell me bluntly about such good things, little people. I'll give it my all, I'll die." Zhu Jianye said a lot, except for the county magistrate who nodded with a smile, the expressions of the others were still the same as before, including Zhou Jing and Wang Ren, both of whom even managed to have eyelids. Without blinking, Wang Ren secretly admired himself for such skill.

The county magistrate waved his hand in satisfaction and motioned Zhu Jianye to sit down, "It is rare for you to have such a heart. It can be seen that they are all benevolent and righteous businessmen. Since they are all for the people and the court, I also know that you are all rough people. If you understand classical Chinese, you won't go around the corners, just say it clearly."

"I heard the news that the imperial court has sent imperial envoys to visit privately. Although there is no specific route, 90% of us in Liushen are coming. There are a dozen or so, but it is not ruled out that they will not come to Liuzhen, so I hope you are prepared, be strict with yourself and be kind to others, don't smear Liu Zhen, and don't smear me. Otherwise, once the commissioner finds out what will happen , don't say I won't protect you."

Master Qian said, "Don't worry, my lord, the villain will stay safe during this time, and will never cause trouble for the adults." The

county magistrate nodded and slowly sipped tea, "Of course, this It's only one, and the other one needs to be discussed with you."

"We in Liuzhen have suffered from natural disasters and man-made disasters in the past, and we have been in arrears for years, but since I took office, the weather has been good and the crops have been abundant. Although there are occasional natural disasters, I also ordered the reduction of taxes, and the people have been living and working in peace and content. Inner, when the imperial envoy came, I couldn't see it at a glance. Maybe because of this, I didn't do anything, and I didn't make any achievements. I invited everyone to come here today, just to ask you to discuss a way to see how to build a new Liuzhen, which can help us. When the people of the town do practical things, we can let the imperial envoy know at a glance that we have done it." The

county magistrate Huayin just fell, and Zhu Jianye didn't think about it, and said at the first: "Adult, villain and other rough people may not have an idea, but villain If you are willing to contribute money and efforts. The villain is willing to be the first to give out 100 taels of gold, the adults can do whatever they want, and for such good things, the villain will do his best when he spends his family's wealth."

Zhu Jianye said, and then Several people got up and expressed their willingness to take the silver. The county magistrate threw down the teacup, and drank neither light nor heavy: "If you are like this, wouldn't you be adults and I will reach out and ask you for money."

Everyone got up again, and said: "I don't dare to doubt, knowing that adults are dedicated to the people, I'm willing to help the adults." The

county magistrate then smiled again, "I know you are rude and can't speak, well, I won't blame you. But I still have to say, this time. I don't want your money, I just want your ideas. The imperial commission is coming soon, please come up with a way to see what we can do in Liuzhen, so that the imperial commissioner can know at a glance that the people of Liuzhen live and work in peace and contentment. I only need a way I don't need money, I'll give you ten days. After ten days, it's still at this hour. Everyone must give me a way. Okay, let's all go away. No one is allowed to stay. Don't come to me in private, or the magistrate will put that person in jail according to the court's bribery law." After the

county magistrate finished speaking, he left with the master, leaving everyone looking at each other, wondering whether the county magistrate's words were just polite or true. They are not allowed to give gifts.

The master followed closely behind the county magistrate and asked, "My lord, I still don't understand your intentions. Why do you ask these merchants to think for themselves, instead of us thinking that they can take the money?"

"I don't think so . I really can't do anything about it, I'm afraid that if it's too small, the imperial commissioner won't see it. If it's bigger, it will cost a lot of money, and the imperial commissioner will blame me for laboring the people and hurting the money, and also ask me where I am from without funding for such a large sum of money. Come here, wouldn't you be accused of corruption and bribery? It's better to ask these businessmen to do the most secure job. I mean no more or no less. This is why I support him to make capital contributions. Moreover, if the imperial envoy is not satisfied, it can be blamed on those merchants. It is said that their own behavior has nothing to do with me. Most of the merchants are rude. If you want to come to the imperial envoy, you won't say anything, let alone blame you on your head." The

master suddenly realized, "You are still wise." The

county magistrate said: "Where is this, you still need to learn more. Yes. Now, the imperial commission is coming, so be careful yourself, let's ask these merchants to think of ways to do things for the people, it's okay, they are kind, and not a penny of silver goes into our pockets, it's nothing. Remember, this period of time, absolutely Don't accept any more money from merchants, so as not to cause trouble."

"The villain understands."

The servants of the county magistrate's mansion in the hall then came out to see the guests, and then everyone left.

Even on the way out of the house, everyone didn't say a word, and they just bowed their heads and walked away. After leaving the house in one breath, no one dared to stay at the back door of the county magistrate's house. They all boarded the cars and left as soon as possible.

Wang Ren sent the coachman to leave, and followed Zhou Jing into the bullock cart. Bullock carts and carriages lined up on the long street, waiting to go one by one. Zhou Jing lifted the curtains a little and looked out, and saw a carriage rampage up.

The coachman on the carriage's carriage asked, "Master, why did you come out with them? Why didn't you go to see your sister this time? Didn't the previous one get a pretty golden hairpin, so would you like to send it?"

The man in the carriage asked. When he opened his mouth, Zhou Jing heard Zhu Jianye's voice. Although he didn't meet before, his flattery in the hall just now was really impressive.

"Brother-in-law won't let me stay, and I don't know what he thinks. No one in Liuzhen knows that I am the brother-in-law of the county magistrate. There is nothing to be avoided in the family."

Zhou Jing put down the curtain, Wang Ren pointed out Pointing to the direction of Zhu Jianye's voice, he didn't say a word: "The county magistrate is his brother-in-law?"

Zhou Jing shook his head, did not speak, but wrote two words in Wang Ren's palm - concubine.

Since he is a concubine, the younger brother of the concubine's family is actually not a serious relative, nor should he be called a brother-in-law. This brother-in-law, Zhu Jianye, dared to speak in private, and was shouted complimentably by others, and when he really got to the county magistrate, he even had to call out his lord. If my brother-in-law is not my brother-in-law, I dare not mention it at all.

Wang Ren didn't say a word after that, until he jumped out of the car in front of the shop, and said, "Tomorrow, Xiaolin and I will see you and eldest brother."

Zhou Jing said, "There is an embroiderer working in my house now, and it is inconvenient to have a large population. When I think about it, if there is a way to get someone to send you a message, let's go to your house in the countryside to discuss."

"Okay, I'll wait for the news of my husband."

Zhou Jing returned to Zhou's house, pondering the meaning of the county magistrate over and over again. I still feel that the county magistrate really wants merits. After all, there are obvious merits, and the imperial envoy came to see it at a glance. When I go back and send a memorial, it is an opportunity to get promoted and get rich, and this kind of opportunity is often the most difficult to come by. beg.

Shen Mo and Zhou Yu both sat in the room and waited for Zhou Jing to come back. As soon as they entered the study, Zhou Jing told them what the county magistrate meant directly. Although Zhou Yu was only eight years old, he knew what to say and couldn't say anything to be killed. In addition, he had suffered before, and he had developed a gloomy and taciturn temperament like a saw-mouth gourd. Zhou Jing was not worried about what he would say, and intentionally told him about it. In the future, he would have to take the imperial examinations, and his career was the most unfathomable way, so it would not hurt to get in touch early.

Zhou Jing thought about it all the way and couldn't understand it, but Shen Mo seemed to have an idea after listening to it and asked, "As long as it is a matter of benefiting the people, it doesn't matter how big or small?

" I saw it, and it was there."

Shen Mo said: "My idea is to put it there, it's obvious, as long as he comes, he can see it."

Now it was Zhou Jing's turn to be surprised, "Xiao Mo, what you said The way is..."

"Building the road." Shen Mo said lightly: "The streets in our town are fine, even if it is rainy and muddy, we won't be able to go out, but in the countryside our Wangjiacun will not be able to go out when it rains and snows heavily in summer or winter. Being isolated in the village, it is common for you to be unable to come out for ten days and a half months."

Zhou Jing's eyes lit up, he stood up abruptly with excitement, and he squatted down and turned around, hugging Shen Mo's waist.

"Xiao Mo, how did I think about it? I didn't even think about it in a later generation. I asked you to think about it. If you want to be rich, you must build roads first. Why did I forget it

." Shen Mo patted Zhou Jing's shoulder, Zhou Jing just didn't let him go, he had to hug him by the waist, the child seemed to be spinning in circles, and after a long time, he finally planned to let him go down, but he didn't expect to stand still before he could stand still. For a while, the sky turned dizzy and hugged the person and fell on the collapse.

Shen Mo was also dizzy. After a long while, he looked at Zhou Jing's eyes and saw that his eyes were still straight, confused, and he laughed.

When Zhou Jing woke up, he didn't care about Shen Mo laughing at him, and said happily: "Xiao Mo, what do you think of it, you are really my lucky star!"

"I just push people by myself." Shen Mo said: "Just take It would rain in the summer and we would not be able to get out of the village. As a result, the sausages lost a lot of money. I was so distressed that I couldn't sleep for several days. In fact, it was not because the road was not good that we could not get out. Should I go? Otherwise, I will also go to the town to sell the nails from door to door. I can't bear to throw them away. Earlier, many villagers in Wangjia Village said that it would be nice if the road could be built like the one in the town, and it would be convenient for us to travel. Sir, I've been wanting to tell you about this in the past few days, if we don't build the road and wait until the winter snows, I'm afraid our sausage shop and cloth dyeing workshop in Wangjia Village will not be able to transport the cloth."

Shen Mo said Of course, Zhou Yu was shocked when he heard it. Since he arrived at the Zhou family, Zhou Jing has always been very capable, a man who can make money to support the family, and Shen Mo is just like an ordinary husband who only manages the trivial things at home and does what everyone can do. Things seem to be insignificant and have no extraordinary strengths. This time, he asked Zhou Yu to overthrow all his previous impressions and get to know him again.

Zhou Jingdao: "Xiao Mo, this time you are very good. If the county magistrate knows about his staff, the master will break his head and ask a pair of children to solve it easily. I'm afraid I will die of shame."

"That's it. Anyway, we can't run away to get the money. It just happens to be convenient for us, and it can be regarded as a good deed for the villagers of Wangjia Village."