ii.

THE TWO GIRLS FOLLOWED ARTEMIS FOR A WHILE, WALKING ALONG THE DARK CLIFF AMIDST THE STORM.

where artemis walked, the moonlight seemed to follow her, so it was easy to keep her in sight. after a short while, the goddess stopped and faced the girls, turning to bianca.

"bianca, i wish for you to tell me what happened during the dance." bianca gulped, glancing at maddie nervously. the girl did her best to send a reassuring grin, and bianca looked away, taking a shaky breath.

"well, it all started at the gym. nico and i were arguing about something. . . "

as they walked along the cliff, bianca continued to recount the events that had happened. while she talked, maddie tried to figure out who her godly parent could be. demeter? no, children of demeter had this calming glow around them, and bianca was a nervous wreck. aphrodite, possibly? or apollo? she was hard to read. 

after the girl had finished, they turned around and walked back towards the others in silence. artemis suddenly stopped again, turning to maddie this time.

"your arm, madelyn. i apologize for forgetting." she stepped a little closer, beckoning for maddie to raise her injured arm. maddie obliged. "i do not possess the same healing abilities as my brother i'm afraid, but this should do it."

she placed her hand gently on maddie's arm and whispered some ancient greek spell. her arm glowed slightly gold, and a tingling sensation washed over her. when artemis removed her hand, maddie's eyes widened when she looked down to find the wounds closed and completely clean, instead leaving three faint pink scars.

"wow, i, um. . . thank you, lady artemis," she breathed. the goddess smiled, and looked over maddie's shoulder.

"ah, looks like my hunters have set up camp. come, you must try our hot chocolate."

she walked back towards the others without another word. maddie locked eyes with bianca, who looked extremely confused. she shrugged, and the two, yet again, followed the goddess.

maddie was alarmed at how quickly the hunters had set up camp. seven large, silver tents surrounded a bonfire in the shape of a crescent. wolves circled the tents like guard dogs, with hunters coming up to them and feeding them treats, completely unafraid. 

she spotted her brother sitting by the campfire, scoffing down some ambrosia whilst grover wrapped his shoulder. nico sat beside them, pestering percy with questions. the poor boy looked as if he wasn't sure whether to cry, scream or punch nico. 

maddie kept following artemis until she entered the last tent. the inside was warm and comfortable, causing maddie to sigh with relief. silk rugs and pillows covered the floor. in the center, a golden brazier of fire seemed to burn without fuel or smoke. there was a polished oak display stand, with a huge silver bow, carved to resemble gazelle horns. zoe stood next to the fire. her eyes moved to bianca, and her face melted into a welcoming expression. she then shifted her gaze to maddie, and studied her for several moments. she seemed to decide that maddie wasn't that bad, and gave her a nod of recognition. maddie grinned nervously in reply. 

"zoe," artemis said, seating herself next to the fire. "please fetch percy jackson for me."

zoe tore her eyes away from the daughter of poseidon, nodding eagerly. "yes my lady," she replied, leaving the tent.

artemis gestured to the two cushions opposite her. "please, sit." 

tentatively, maddie spoke up. 

"um, lady artemis? why did you call me here?"

artemis studied her. "daughter of poseidon, i have been watching you for some time. i know of your fate from my brother, and i would like to offer you a chance to escape it. you, my dear, have the spirit of a true huntress. join my hunters, leave your old life of worry behind, and start a new one, a life of adventure."