iv.

maddie couldn't help but look smug as she watched percy and grover carry the oracle back to the big house. serves him right for being a dickhead.

"hey you," thalia said, sidling up to her. "sorry about . . .all that."

maddie grinned. "it's okay. i probably would've snapped at him as well."

thalia shook her head, watching the two boys retreat with the oracle. "what is it with boys and hero complexes, huh?"

"yeah, well," maddie sighed. "what can you do?"

"i suggest a good slap over the head might do it—"

"luckily maddie does not take suggestions from you," silena interrupted. thalia simply shrugged, a small smile adorning her lips.

"so . . . that prophecy," maddie said uneasily. "what do you think?"

the other two shifted uncomfortably. "well, we have a lead on artemis, at least," thalia sniffed.

"'campers and hunters combined prevail.' sounds like some of us will be going on this quest with the hunters," silena sighed.

"zoe will not be happy about that," maddie said.

"yeah, well, she can take her opinions and shove them right up—"

"hey, jackson."

maddie whipped around. standing there, gripping her bow and glaring at thalia, was eleni. the brunette felt her face go red. when did it get so warm?

"oh, hi . . . eleni. er, you know thalia . . . and this is silena beauregard."

eleni nodded stiffly at silena, completely ignoring thalia, and turned to maddie again. "can i have a word?"

"oh, i . . ."

maddie glanced at the other two. thalia looked skeptical, like she was trying to decipher whether or not to run eleni through with her shield. silena however, was grinning wickedly, as if she knew something maddie didn't.

"of course she can talk! come on, thalia, let's help escort the injured ares kids to the medical center."

"but—"

what thalia was going to say remained a mystery, as silena had grabbed her arm and dragged her away from maddie and eleni.

madie faced eleni again. "so, what's up?"

eleni hesitated for a moment, as if she was beginning to regret starting this conversation. then, after a second, she sighed and looked up. "i wanted to just say that, um . . . what you did back there . . . it was pretty cool."

"what, the kicking your ass or the water thing?"

"kicking my—? oh, you know what, forget it."

she turned to leave, but maddie caught her arm. "i was only joking! you were saying?"

eleni huffed. "yeah, the . . . water sphere thingy . . . well, i thought it was cool."

"thanks," maddie grinned softly. "is that all you came here to say?"

eleni paused again, then bit her lip. the tough, fierce-looking hunter that had tackled maddie not half an hour ago was gone, replaced by a gentler, more empathetic girl. she took a deep breath.

"listen, your blonde friend . . ."

"you mean annabeth?" maddie straightened up. eleni could have news on her whereabouts. 

"yeah, that one. well, i know you're worried, and i just wanted to let you know . . . she'll be fine."

"how can you know?" maddie kicked at the moss beneath her feet.