iv.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

as she stared down at the creature that had chased her to the border of camp half-blood all those years ago, maddie can feel her veins burn in anger.

she was twelve years old in her first encounter with the minotaur. it had ended with her mom being 'killed' and percy driving it's horn straight through him. it was maddie's first ever battle, and she hadn't even been that involved. she had plucked up the courage to throw a single branch at him, before the creature had whacked her into tree as if she were weightless. 

but now, with four years of training in her body and a fresh, sharp sword in her hand, maddie was ready for round two. 

blackjack, who was twice as happy to see maddie as all of camp put together, along with another horse who took annabeth, flew them to williamsburg bridge. the battle stood out massively from the sleeping city, lighting up the dark sky with burning cars and arcs of fire streaming in both directions with spears and arrows alight.

as they dropped lower, they were given a clearer view of the situation. it didn't take an idiot to realize how much the apollo cabin was struggling. they were gradually retreating, their arrows only taking out a few dracaenae, their locked shields making the arrows ricochet off harmlessly. 

the campers were still holding their ground however, setting off explosive arrows and dropping caltrops in the road, building fiery barricades wherever they could, dragging sleeping drivers out of their cars to get them out of harm's way. but the enemy kept advancing, and fast. 

maddie heard the minotaur before she saw him. a loud roar made blackjack start, almost causing maddie to slip off. she grabbed percy's middle to steady herself and glared down at the creature.

from the waist down, he wore standard greek battle gear—a kilt-like apron of leather and metal flaps, bronze greaves covering his legs, and tightly wrapped leather sandals. the top half was bull, hair, hide and muscle balancing a ginormous head. his horns seemed to have doubled in size.

maddie glanced down. "how far up d'ya say we are?"

"uh . . . like a hundred feet wh— maddie!"

percy's yell sounded far off as maddie swung a foot around and slipped off the back of blackjack, plummeting down onto williamsburg bridge. 

her years of training and wall-climbing had prepared her, and she managed to roll just as she hit the ground. the contact with the ground stung, but she ignored it as she unsheathed her sword and ducked behind a car as an arrow came whistling in her direction. 

"maddie, what the fuck!" percy roars from above. maddie sticks a thumbs up at him.

unfortunately, his yell seemed to have gained some attention, and the next second blackjack dived as a white limousine came sailing at the pair of pegasi.

annabeth has to swerve to the left, and for a second maddie thought she was going to fly clean off porkpie, but the girl managed to compose herself, fixing her armor as she swerves back around to the bridge. 

maddie swore and glanced over. sure enough, the minotaur had fixed it's beady eyes in percy's general direction and was leaning over to pick up another car. 

it takes the girl a second to eye the ranks of dracaenae to form a plan. a plan that is so easy it is almost laughable. 

closing her eyes, maddie feels the rush of the water below her, it's volume and power. she calls it, and the next second there is a great pull in her stomach. she opens her eyes just in time to see a gigantic wave crash onto the bridge, washing over the dracaenae and sending them all flying in different directions.