xii.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

they had reached the summit. a few meters further, grey clouds swirled in a vortex-like fashion, making a funnel that almost reached the mountain tip. they would have touched, had it not been for the familiar twelve-year-old girl with auburn hair and a tattered silver dress.

artemis. the goddess held the clouds on her shoulders, her legs bound to the rocks with celestial bronze chains. suddenly, maddie's mind flashed to the many greek myths that annabeth had taught her. atlas was punished with holding up the sky. it must be what was on artemis' shoulders. that was what maddie had seen in her dream, the first night back at camp.

that meant annabeth was here.

"my lady!" zoe rushed forward, but artemis said, "stop! it is a trap. you must leave now."

tears ran down the hunter's face as she disobeyed artemis' orders and ran forward. she tugged hopelessly on the chains.

"ah, how touching."

a booming voice from behind spoke, making them jump. turning around, they were met with a man who could only be the general. at his side stood luke, holding his sword to the throat of annabeth.

annabeth.

maddie stared at her best friend. after everything that had happened, everything they had endeavored to get her back, it almost seemed surreal that she was here. she looked exhausted, like her feet were about to give way. her hands were cuffed and there was a gag in her mouth, making maddie's hands shake with rage. she had the sudden urge to stick a dagger in luke's head. the sight of annabeth looking so helpless and weak was difficult enough, but knowing it was on of her closest friends that did it to her made it heartbreaking.

annabeth's eyes found maddie's. maddie tried to ask her if she was alright, but annabeth kept trying to tell her one thing; run

"luke," thalia snarled. "let her go."

luke's smile was weak and pale. the last time maddie had seen him, he was battling percy on board the princess andromeda. he looked as though half of his strength had been taken from him.

"that is the general's decision, thalia. but it's good to see you again." 

thalia spat at him.

the general chuckled. "so much for old friends. and you, zoe. it's been a long time. how is my little traitor? i will enjoy killing you." 

"do not respond," artemis groaned. "do not challenge him."

"wait a second," percy said. "you're atlas?"

"so, even the stupidest of heroes can finally figure something out. yes, i am atlas, the general of the titans and terror of the gods. congratulations. i will kill you and your sister presently, as soon as i deal with this wretched girl."

"that's quite a big mouth for someone who's been a little occupied with his chore for these past few thousand years," maddie sneered. 

atlas snarled at her. "silence, brat. this is not your place to interfere. this is simply a family matter."

percy frowned. " a . . . family matter?"