xi.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

maddie had never been so glad to see the son of hades.

the boy had obviously been practicing his power since she had last seen him, as she could see how easily he bended everything to his will. with a simple draw of the sword, nico managed to shake the ground, cracks appearing from the sidewalk to the buildings above. the boy didn't even break a sweat.

but the next second, maddie realized what he was actually doing. rather than just opening the ground, nico was using it as an entrance for his helpers.  

one by one, skeletal hands shot out from the cracks, clawing their way to the surface. there were hundreds of them, thousands and even, and with every additional skeleton, kronos' army became increasingly jumpy, staring at the boned army with terror.

kronos' eyes were alight with rage at the newcomers. "hold your ground! the dead are no match for us!"

the sky turned dark and cold all of a sudden, and the shadows thickened, seeping around them in a cage of eeriness. a harsh war horn sounded, and as the dead soldiers formed up ranks with their guns and swords and spears, an enormous chariot roared down fifth avenue. it came to a stop next to nico. 

the horses were living shadows, fashioned from darkness' hands. the chariot was intricately designed with obsidian and gold, depicting painful scenes of death. and on it, holding the reins and eyeing kronos with immense distaste, was hades himself. two other goddesses rode beside him, and maddie could only guess that they were persephone and demeter.

he wore black armor that looked to be made of shadows, sporting a red cloak as rich as blood. he wore his helm of darkness on his head, which changed shape the more maddie looked at it; one second it was a wreath of bones, then it was a black crown dripping in crimson blood, then it was a writhing dragon's head.

it terrified maddie to no end, and one look at the attacking army informed her that they felt the same.

hades smiled coldly at kronos, his eyes glittering with loathing. "hello, father. you're looking . . . young."

maddie took the distraction as a chance to put some distance between herself and kronos, backing away as discreetly as she could so's not to attract any attention. kronos was still in attacking distance, and maddie knew her window of escape was small.

she felt another hand slip into her own and realized a split second later it was annabeth's, gently tugging her back with her.

if kronos saw them back away, he did nothing to stop them. his focus was still fixed on hades, golden eyes surveying the army of the dead with interest.

"i hope you and your ladies have come to pledge your allegiance."

hades sighed, like he was already tired of being here. "i'm afraid not. my son here convinced me that perhaps i should prioritize my list of enemies."

he glanced in maddie's general direction with distaste, before he eyed percy with the same expression. 

"as much as i dislike certain upstart demigods, it would not do for olympus to fall. i would miss bickering with my siblings. and if there is one thing we agree on—it is that you were a terrible father." 

"true," muttered demeter. "no appreciation of agriculture." 

"mother!" persephone said, exasperated. 

hades raised his head and drew his sword, stygian iron like nico's, but his was double-edged and etched with silver. "now, fight me! for today the house of hades will be called the saviors of olympus."