ii.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

with all her might, rachel dragged the fighting boy out of the now smoking school. percy kept trying to go back, but rachel was surprisingly strong, and managed to heave the teenager down the alley. 

they reached east 81st, and percy stumbled, falling right into annabeth.

the daughter of athena laughed, oblivious to their state. "hey, you're early! watch where you're going, seaweed brain."

rachel then stepped onto the street, and annabeth's happy expression immediately melted. she stared at rachel, then noticed the smoking school, then looked back at percy, as if noticing something. "where's maddie? what did you do? and who's this?"

percy, in his shocked state, was beginning to get overwhelmed. here was his best friend, spewing question after question and all he wanted to do was go back for his sister.

"uhm, annabeth, rachel, and . . . rachel, annabeth. she's a . . . friend."

"hi," rachel said briefly. she rounded on percy. "what are we going to do?"

annabeth was beginning to get impatient. "going to do about what? where's maddie?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

the girl tried to ignore the smoke tickling her eyes and climbing down her throat as she accessed the situation before her. percy and rachel had just climbed out of the window, leaving her in the band room alone, and the screaming group outside of the door.

the sprinklers were her only chance of saving the situation. if she could make them stronger and direct their force towards the bigger parts of the fire, there might be a chance of stopping the fire all together.

the problem was, she was still in view of a good twenty people. if they saw her use her abilities, she would never be let into any school in america, let alone goode

backing into a corner where the fire hadn't hit yet, and was petty hidden from the door, she raised her hands. she immediately felt the affect of the water turning it's command to her, and she willed the water to come out faster. 

after a moment, the sprinklers began to adhere to her order, and she saw the fire slowly begin to die out. the problem was, the smoke had now increased because of the extinguishing. maddie knew she only had about forty more seconds before the smoke filled up her lungs completely and she collapsed from smoke inhalation. 

gritting her teeth, the girl willed the water to come faster. the fire was still dying down, but too slow for her liking. the surviving flames inched their way towards her menacingly, as if daring her to run.

she was so focused on putting the fire out, she didn't realize she had cleared the doorway, nor did she notice someone run into the band room. not until paul blofis stood before her, eyes wide in disbelief. 

she froze, arms still outstretched. to anyone who didn't know of her abilities, it must have been a pretty odd picture, a teenage girl standing in the corner of a burning room, arms raised like she was casting a spell.

mr. blofis was knocked out of his trance when he noticed the still roaring fire. "maddie! what are you doing?"

shit, maddie thought. she could feel the smoke begin to get to her and knew her time was short. so, she did the first thing she thought of and jabbed her hand down shortly. one of the sprinklers began to blast it's water towards paul, drenching him and momentarily blinding him. maddie took the opportunity and sprinted to the window, climbing out and running after percy and rachel.