x.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

she is still here.

she is alive. weak, tired and sporting what feels like a broken hip. but still here.

she does not want to be.

her grief has succumbed her, the loss of silena hitting fast and hard. it was the first death that had truly effected maddie, the first that had left her numb and wondering if all of the fighting was really worth it.

the roar of the battle has faded to a distant ringing in her ear, and maddie could not care less that there are still monsters out there, hunting for her blood.

she's sick and tired of fighting.

because silena's death was an example of the harsh, bitter reality of war. how no matter how hard you fight, how many people or monsters you take down, death will still slip in while you are distracted and take the ones you love with his heartless claws.

a trick that ends in death.

the line rings in her mind like malicious laughter, taunting maddie to the point that it feels like she's choking with the irony of it all. it's obvious that it was referring to silena's trickery; another line of the prophecy had been fulfilled, and maddie hadn't done enough to stop it.

nor annabeth or percy have yet to let go of her. maddie is lifted gently off the ground by percy's arm around her shoulder, and annabeth's fingers are tightly clamped in her own, a gesture that probably looked like a friend comforting another. only maddie knew how much more it was.

she hasn't found in herself to continue fighting yet, so instead she stands silently next to everyone else and watches in bewilderment as clarisse drives through kronos' army with astounding ease, no doubt still burning with rage. her fierce attitude had rallied the party ponies, and their fighting immediately improved after catching a glimpse of clarisse.

apparently, killing monster after monster wasn't enough for the girl, and maddie's eyes widen when she spots the dead drakon body being dragged around on the back of clarisse's chariot, looking like a chinese new year dragon.

the daughter of ares shone with rage, hurling insults and challenges at any creature close to her. her electric spear mirrored her attitude, sizzling wildly. it didn't take long for its tip to become slick with blood.

"the blessing of ares," maddie heard thalia say. "i've never seen it in person before."

maddie realizes that the girl is right, as clarisse is physically glowing, an aura of red fire flickering around her frame. she seemed to be invincible, spears and arrows somehow all missing her.

"i am clarisse, drakon-slayer!" she yawped into the air. "i will kill you all! where is kronos? bring him to me, i will kill the coward myself!"

percy, looking very distressed, calls out to the girl. "clarisse, stop it! withdraw!"

"what's the matter, titan lord?" she yelled, ignoring percy. "bring it on!"

it didn't take long for the terrified army to retreat behind a wall of dracaenae. clarisse continued to drive in circles around fifth avenue, the drakon carcass scraping against the ground.

annabeth sucked in a sharp breath. "is anyone else reminded of . . .?"

maddie watched clarisse for a beat. the burning rage, the dragging around of her latest victory . . .

"achilles," she said weakly, surprised her voice even worked at all.

annabeth pressed her lips together tightly and nodded.