18

"Only one person is known to have survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me

"Only one person is known to have survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me."
—————————

"I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at." I said flatly after Cormac had tried showing me where the stars and planets aligned on the star chart. He let out a low chuckle, and pulled the chart towards him again to reexplain... for the millionth time. Hermione sat across from us with her nose buried in a book, and if I had to guess, she was probably already two weeks ahead in her classes. Overachiever.

"You're lucky I think you're cute, or else I think I would have gotten annoyed with this nonsense long ago and gave up." He teased in my ear, and I bit back my smile and tossed the pillow next to me at his face.

"Stop flirting with me, McLaggen." I warned him, and he gave me his most charming grin that he could put on. He scooted a bit closer, and my heart rate sped up even quicker than it had already been beating from his intoxicating presence all evening.

"Or what? You going to punch me, too?" He whispered with a daring glare of playfulness, and I had no response to that one as I flexed my sore knuckles. "Got ya." He chuckled, wrapping his arm over the back of the couch so it rested on my shoulders.

"Were you even good at Divination last year?" I asked him, hoping he had some insight on the class since he was a year ahead of me. He shook his head and his wild grin was more prominent than it had been earlier.

"Nope! But if trying to help you understand what she's teaching means that I get to sit this close to you in the common room in the evenings, then I'll continue to pretend that I understand." He whispered in my ear some more so we could have some privacy, and I shivered from his warm breath and I truly thought my heart had stopped beating right then and there.

"Alright, tiger, take it easy." I laughed, shoving him away and putting some space between us. I didn't think I could physically take much more of his body being so close to mine in such a flirtatious way. Our smiles reflected the other's and we both wore a blissful shade of pink across our cheeks while we continued working on my homework.

The only interruptions that put a damper on the mood had been when George thought that Cormac was sitting "far too close to their little sister" and Fred shot a small fire cracker between our heads to make us jump apart. After my cursing filled the common room, as well as a particular finger that I was quite fond of and Hermione was not, Cormac was able to convince the twins that he was harmless.

When I looked back down at my star chart, my eyes wanted so badly to flicker towards the idiot that sat at a far table with Ronnie to work on his own. My mind wandered only a few times over the last day and a half to think of the boy that was treating me as though I were Voldemort himself, and I realized how hollow my chest felt without his presence around me at all. Despite Ronnie's forgiveness being almost immediately granted with a pout, a big cuddle on the couch while we hung-out with our friends last night, and a fresh cauldron cake that I had smuggled from the kitchen, Harry wouldn't let up so easily.