34

"My little 15-year-old is starting her 5th year at school tomorrow

"My little 15-year-old is starting her 5th year at school tomorrow. Someone tell me I'm not getting old."
—————————

Sirius had been the only person that hadn't seemed overjoyed with the idea of Harry returning to school this term. despite his initial excitement when he had heard the news, he slowly started to get moodier and was sulking around the house. Our jokes had come to a stop, he was shutting everyone out of conversation, and the amount of time he shut himself away with Buckbeak in his mother's bedroom increased.

Hermione said it was selfishness. That Sirius just had a hard time telling the difference between James and Harry— like Molly had insinuated days prior— and that Sirius was just mad Harry couldn't come live with him at Number Twelve so they could be outcasts together. That comment really rubbed Ron and Harry the wrong way, but I kept my mouth shut as we cleaned the 3rd floor's moldy cupboard and Hermione stated her case, even if I found myself agreeing. I knew better than to give my opinion out of fear that word would travel. Portraits always talk...

Everything else had gone smoothly during the rest of our time at Grimmauld place— up until our last day. As if the Universe itself could sense that my messy haired boyfriend had been in a good mood for a little too long. He took a surprising turn for the worst that afternoon. A mood that even I couldn't seem to help him shake. I wasn't sure if his guilt for Sirius' bad mood was the culprit or something else entirely, but I started to see a side to Harry James Potter that I really worried for.

"Letters came in the mail." Ginny tossed the three envelopes across Ron's bed while I sat in the boy's room. Harry had been sweeping Hedwig's droppings from the top of the wardrobe while Ron and I were discussing the year ahead. Ginny left as quickly as she had peaked in to go back to her room with Hermione.

I sat between Ron's legs on his bed and kept my head rested on his chest. Harry never cared when Ron needed his "Sister Snuggles" because his best friend kept things between us PG— although, when Ginny offered to give him some a few days prior, his face lit into a fiery flame of anger and he screamed at her for being annoying. What a charming chap.

I didn't bother opening my booklist this time because Ron's would tell us everything we needed to know. He held the paper in front of my nose and read it over my head, his chin resting on my lazy day hair. "I almost thought they'd have forgotten to send these. Usually they come much sooner." Ron said more so to himself than me or Harry.

"Huh— only two new ones this year." Harry chimed from the opposite bed. My blue eyes skimmed the writing for myself. "Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5, by Miranda Goshawk and Defensive Magical Theory, by Wilbert Slinkhard." Harry read aloud, but Ron and I were still gaping at the letter before our eyes, mouths hung open and eyes wide.

So out of it that neither of us took notice that the twins had appeared in the room with a crack and had been talking with Harry about the cursed position of the Dark Arts Professors.