27

"Myrtle helped me solve the egg in the prefect's bathtub— never mind that

"Myrtle helped me solve the egg in the prefect's bathtub— never mind that."
—————————

"Hagrid, you open this door this instant!" I shouted loudly while I pounded on the wooden door with my fist. "We don't care about what that cow Rita wrote about you in the Daily Prophet! We miss you and want to see you, and it doesn't matter to us if your mother was a giantess!" I pounded once more.

"How long before her father responds to her letter about her issues?" Ron tried to whisper behind me with worry in his question. He had been caught up by Hermione on what had been going on in my life revolving my own magical background when my glowing eyes scared the day lights out of him and I returned to dinner with more blonde to my hair than brunette.

"She literally just sent Chippy out 20 minutes ago." Harry reminded him in a low voice. "I don't think she'll be hearing back until at least tomorrow evening."

"I know, but I don't like angry Ruby. She scares me." He whimpered. My heart jolted from the words for a moment, but I ignored his statement and pretended I never heard anything. I went to pound on Hagrid's door again, but it had swung open and stopped me.

"It's about ti- oh. Hi, Professor." My face turned pink when Dumbledore's smiling face greeted me instead of my familiar friend. "That stuff about Rita? Totally kidding. Ha Ha." I scratched the back of my neck and laughed awkwardly when I realized he had witnessed my comments. "We wanted to-"

"See Hagrid? I'd gathered that." He chuckled. He stepped aside and the four of us made our way in to the little hut we were so fond of visiting. "Miss Evans, I can't help but notice something's different about your appearance since I last saw you this morning at breakfast." He narrowed his eyes and examined my hair.

"Oh," I chuckled as I thought of how to answer. "Yeah, it uh-" Say something, Ruby. Anything. "It's-"

"Please, come to my office tomorrow. I think I already have a few ideas of my own." He said kindly. I nodded slowly while the others paid me and the Headmaster no attention, and instead tried comforting Hagrid behind us— who was blotchy faced and still crying.

"Not everyone wan' me ter stay." Hagrid sniffled. "No one else is half-giant so they don't get it!" He cried quietly.

"Hagrid, look at the lot I was saddled with!" Harry put his hands on top of the table and leaned towards him. "Look at the Dursleys! We don't get a choice in who we get as our family, and that's okay because we work with what we've got!" He reminded him. "Just because Giant's are known to be angry doesn't mean you inherited the gene. You're the nicest guy I know!" The boy pushed his glasses up on his nose and took a seat next to Hagrid. Suddenly, my own heart sunk further.

But what about if you're a Veela? And you did inherit the gene that causes horrible emotions that you easily take out on others? Then what do people think of you?