51

"You have always proven to me what being a Gryffindor should mean, but right now I'm considering if the Sorting Hat should have put you in Slytherin!"—————————

—————————

Harry looked sick. I felt sick to my stomach. He slicked his palms over his jeans repeatedly like he needed to wipe his hands clean and rid them of germs from St. Mungo's. His flushed face was slowly slipping into a worse expression the farther away we traveled, and the information learned rang on a loop through my ears.

If Voldemort's possessing him...

I felt like a snake had bitten me repeatedly as my stomach flipped again and again. I jostled between my dad and Harry as the train hit another bump in its tracks, my blood chilling under my skin when my elbow brushed against his.

Honestly, Ruby, get a grip!

This was my boyfriend, for crying out loud. I couldn't allow my thoughts to run that course, and I surely couldn't shiver like a leaf in the wind every time I so much as glanced at him. I knew a change in my behavior would only make him feel worse about matters that were probably eating him alive.

But if Voldemort is lurking somewhere inside of him...

But Harry was still in there, too. My Harry. The sarcastic and goofy boy that I had always known and loved.

So many things had started to make more and more sense, like Harry's uncontrollable mood swings and anger problems through the last few months since Voldemort's return. Maybe that was why he had lashed out at each of us over the littlest things. It was a possibility that Voldemort was the one doing it.

That explained the twitch in Harry's neck when something would happen, a twitch that he was unaware of... unaware because Voldemort was entering his body and possessing him and I had been watching it happen with my very eyes for months and hadn't even noticed that a vigilant and vicious killer was the one that-

"What's gotten into you, bud?" My dad's voice was much cooler than when he and Harry typically bickered and teased one another. "You haven't taken the bait on any of my jokes this entire ride. Don't tell me we've reached the day where you've given up and I win?" My dad tried again, flicking Harry's ear while his arm was draped over the seat behind my back.

Everyone's eyes flickered in our direction, and it wasn't hard to read them if you knew what was going on.

We all know the secrets. Everyone's look said. We know what's wrong with Harry and why he's acting so strange.

I shuffled uncomfortably in my seat and took a deep breath, my eyes moving back down to Harry's palms that were still wiping over his thighs. He let out a hollow chuckle and opened his mouth like he wished to speak, but his face grew even paler and he closed his mouth again.