05 | surprise, surprise

✲ ✲ ✲

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

✲ ✲ ✲

I V Y T H O M P S O N

THE DRIVE HOME WASN'T NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be. I left at a good time, little to no traffic, the sun beamed across the sky and occasionally ducked behind the whitest clouds.

This is it. The fresh new start that I need for this town. My home town.

I haven't been to the beach in over two years. That's almost unheard of for me. I love it when you take a dip in the sea, you allow the saltiness of the water to wrap around the ends of your hair and turn them into beautiful curls.

Most people hate the beach because of the sand but I embrace it. When you come home to shower and you find granules of sand for days, in your shoes, even in your bed. But that's the beauty of the beach, it follows you everywhere.

And for a summer of fun, I will take sand anyday. It reminds me of my childhood, playing on the beach for hours until the sun went down, wrapping yourself up in a towel and walking barefoot back to the house.

I can't believe I haven't been back in so long.

This time will be different. I won't allow my past to stop me from enjoying my home.

As I pull up outside our house, I sit in my car for a few moments and just stare. I'm in awe. Absolutely stunned. Not that because it has changed, because nothing is different. The arches are still painted white, the house the perfect shade of baby blue.

My heart softens as I take in every inch. I could never forget what it looked like but today feels different, like I'm seeing it all over again for the first time.

I suck in a breath and pop open the car door. Once my feet touch the floor I smile, nothing about this house could make me feel sad. All the memories with my mum and dad, even my brother despite how much we'd argue as kids. But really it was sibling love.

I leave my bags in the car for the moment and walk towards the blue splashed front door. My parents are away for a couple of weeks visiting friends abroad, giving me the house to myself and my brother.

But I know I have people to see, things to do. I doubt we'll cross paths much anyway.

I fish through my bag for my keys, I'm surprised I didn't lose them considering how bad I am with keys. Don't ask me how many times I had to get a new key cut when living by myself, it's far too embarrassing to admit.

Once I'm inside I find my heart thumping in my chest. I have no idea why this makes me feel so anxious but as I take a whiff of our home washing and fresh plants, I feel instantly at home.

"Ivy?"

My brother's voice booms through the house, footsteps run across the landing upstairs until he moves into view. Nothing about him has changed except he now has grown out some stubble across his jaw, his light brown hair is wet and dripping across his head.