18 | princess, listen to me

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

J J W O O D F O R D

I'M HOME ALONE BECAUSE Finn has work and I don't feel like going out today.

Cal and Joel said they're hitting the beach but I'm enjoying my own company right now in front of the TV. As much as I like Finn's friends, I like being by myself too. I've still got a good month and a bit here and I know I don't want to burn myself out too quickly.

So settling for some Netflix and a beer is music to my ears right now.

My eyes are glued to the screen because this episode of The Circle is just getting good. I'm not one for reality shows but this one is different, it had me hooked from the first ten minutes and then I couldn't turn it off.

You know where you'll find me for the rest of the day.

A small thump against the door has me turning over my shoulder. At first I think it must have been a gust of wind because it wasn't heavy enough to be a knock. I turn my attention back to the TV for my ears to prick at the sound of keys scratching against the lock.

This time I'm frowning. Is someone trying to pick the lock and break in?

I jump up from the sofa and inch closer, listening to the sound again. Then I hear keys drop altogether. My fingers press to the door handle and I swing it open to find Ivy bent down, her fingers lingering over her keys that are resting on the floor.

"Ivy?"

A sound falls from her lips, somewhere between a sob and a shuddering breath.

I bend down to the floor instantly but I can't see her face, it's clouded by her long blonde hair. "Ivy," I lean over to grab her hand that is now touching her keys.

She's trembling. Actually trembling.

"What's happened?" I demand carefully.

My eyes give her a once over as best as I can in her crouching position but I can't see any signs of injury. Her breathing becomes harsh and I grab her keys with my vacant hand and pull her up onto her feet so she's standing, then I tug her inside.

Her legs barely work as she stumbles into the house, flashing me her face for the first time. Tears are strolling down her face endlessly and she sucks in a big breath, her chest going crazy as I shut the door behind her.

"Take a big breath," I say gently, gripping her shoulder. Ivy's eyes shut and she chokes out a cry, then fails to take a breath resulting in hyperventilation. "A big breath, in then out."

She's not listening. She's full-on sobbing.

My heart wrenches in my chest. What the fuck happened since this morning?

"Princess," I whisper and clutch her cheek. "Princess, listen to me."

But Ivy shakes her head, hands still shaking and her breathing becoming heavier by the second. I tell myself to keep calm, to not let this situation escalate by panicking myself. That is the worst thing I could possibly do.