41 | good news

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

J J W O O D F O R D

After a long run on the beach, I am sweating from every angle of my body to the point I had to go shirtless for the last twenty minutes. Even though the beaming sun was dipping in and out of the clouds, I could feel the sweltering heat. It's almost blistering.

I purposely left my phone at home because I needed some alone time. Not that anything is wrong but sometimes it's good to step away and embrace the environment around me. Soon summer will be over and I won't have the luxury of visiting this beach. It's the perfect spot for refreshing your mind and body–lungs included.

My chest heaves as I reach the house, pushing my way in. Andrea and Finn are around the kitchen counter making food. I wave at them as I pass. "Dinner in fifteen minutes, JJ," Andrea calls out to me.

"Thanks. I'll be down after a shower," I say, running a hand over my head and feeling sweat bead through the growing strands. It's been a while since I had a haircut and I'm in desperate need of one, wanting my clean buzz cut back.

I glance at Finn who keeps his head down, I walk up the stairs tearing my eyes away. He hasn't been the same since Ben got out of prison last week, I don't know if he's been drowning himself in alcohol but he seems sober right now.

It's something I know I need to tackle soon but I have to admit that I've been paying a lot of my attention towards Ivy and making sure that she's okay, when I should be focusing on both of them. I'm certain Finn is avoiding me, people for that fact. He's been going to work this week, coming home and sleeping. Nothing more.

But I know I need to figure out what's going on with my best friend. I owe that support to him after what we're doing behind his back. I'm going to talk to him as soon as I can, gauge what's going on in that mind of his and help in any way I can.

I jump straight in the shower to rid myself of my sticky skin, the cool water feeling blissful. I bask in the sensation for a few moments before getting out and wrapping the towel around my waist. My phone lights up on my bed and I glance at it, my heart stopping in my chest when I find three missed calls from my father.

"Shit," I curse before reaching for it and tapping on the notification. I look at the screen, my phone beginning to ring. Then when I place it to my ear, I anxiously chew on my lip. I haven't heard from my father in a few days but multiple missed calls? Something is wrong.

My stomach flips like a rollercoaster. Oh fuck. Something is so incredibly wrong.

I perch on the edge of my bed, my knees giving out because I physically can't stand anymore. My teeth clamp down on my lip so sharply that I taste blood in my mouth.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

"Pick up the phone, dad," I heave, dropping my head into my hand. "Pick up."

The line cuts and I hear his voice. "Hi, son."