13 | stop falling for me

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

I V Y T H O M P S O N

THE NEXT DAY I FIND MYSELF WANTING to reminisce on old times. Especially back in school. Not everyone enjoys school but I didn't mind it, I kept my head down and did my work with no questions asked.

I wasn't necessarily popular but because Daisy was my best friend, that meant I was invited to parties with her. And now a part of me wants to look back at the photos and memories that I bundled together, something that will keep my heart warm for the time being.

A time before everything went wrong.

I take a look around my room and check in the wardrobes but I cannot find my memory box anywhere. My dad would have put it in the loft when they cleaned out my room and made sure that it was suitable and ready for when I came back home.

At least they're thinking of me in that sense.

I step into the hall and walk towards the loft at the other end of the house. I pull down the string and let the ladder fall into place beside me. I grip onto it with two hands and give it a good shake–just to make sure.

My dad fitted this years ago and he always used to use it. I'm sure it's more than safe.

I push myself up the ladder, one foot at a time. Being careful because I know how damn clumsy I can be. I peek my head over the ledge and glance into the loft but everything is pitch black, I need to climb onto the landing to reach the light switch.

My foot grips to the ladder and I press my hand to the rim of the hole and hoist myself up as best as I can, allowing my leg to push into the wooden floor so that I can stand. But as I reach forward to grab the handle inside, my sock slips an inch or two and suddenly I am falling.

A scream rips from my lips at the quick action. My life literally flashing before my eyes.

Never have I felt my heart rattle in my chest this fast as I fly through the air backwards, trying my hardest to grab onto something or tangle my legs into the ladder. But it's too late. It's far too late. I am done for.

My arm scrapes down the jagged side of the ladder, piercing my skin as I thrash to use something. I hear my back crack beneath me as I plummet to the floor, causing the flooring to creak and erupt into a noise that sounds like a bomb has gone off.

I groan and close my eyes at the increase of pain. My spine feels like it's been snapped in two, as for my arm–I take a quick glance at it and study the ruby red droplets falling towards my elbow. I glance away instantly before I vomit.

The door down the hall bursts open and I hear footsteps darting towards me. "Fuck," JJ curses as I attempt to wriggle against the floor. Anything to stop this ache–everywhere. "Ivy."