38 | not family friendly

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

I V Y T H O M P S O N

I felt like I was on top of the world on the ferris wheel with JJ. Literally.

The best part? He didn't see my past trauma and wanted to walk head first out of the door. He listened, he asked questions, he reassured me. My head is still a mess but I feel somewhat lighter knowing that he knows the truth.

He holds my hand as we reach the bottom, both of us realising that we can't show affection around the fair in case people notice and start talking. The ferris wheel is the best place to be practically incognito.

But as we reach the bottom, reality slaps me in the face. The bubble I felt comfortable with JJ now bursts and we're back to sharing the space with a bunch of people from town. I miss his company as soon as we got off the ride.

JJ helps me out and I thank him. He glances over his shoulder briefly once before landing a quick kiss on my lips. I'm smiling as soon as I feel the warmth of his skin. "I wish we could stay here all night," he murmurs against me, lip curling downwards with disappointment.

"Me too," I admit, enjoying the rawness of his blue eyes.

As we exit the ride, JJ pulls his hand away from mine and my fingers turn to ice cubes. I wrap my arms over my chest as the night becomes creeping in, the sun slowly setting and lighting up the sky with the most perfect shade of orange.

"There you are!" I hear from behind me.

I whip my head to the sound to find Daisy, Isaac and Harriet approaching us. My mouth morphs into a forced smile as I see them, my heart hammering in my chest because I know I'm standing right beside JJ.

"Where have you been?" She asks as she slinks an arm over my shoulder.

My throat clear quietly. "I went to the toilet, the queue was so long. Then I bumped into JJ for a bit."

Daisy glances up at JJ who has his hands shoved into his pockets, smiling down to us. She laughs quietly. "Yeah, 'bumped'... sure." I glance up at her to find her winking down at me.

I twist my head and look over at Isaac and Harriet who are talking to each other but Isaac catches my eye and offers me a timid smile, I attempt to replicate the same smile. "Let's go get a drink," I say and Daisy nods.

"Hell yeah," Daisy cheers as we walk towards the bar stool.

JJ tags along with us and of course Finn is already at the bar with two beers in hand, Joe and Cal beside him. He beckons us over and Finn asks JJ where he's been. I try not to listen into the conversation but JJ mutters something about a long call and he didn't realise how long he was gone.

I grab a drink with Daisy when my brother appears at my side. He's drunk but with a bright grin on his face so I let him have this moment–even if his drinking habits really concern me and I wish I knew how to help without him getting defensive.