Chapter 14

"Is it just me, or this place is unusually quiet?" Nikolai asked his friend, who was about to open the door to the apartment. 

Mikhail raised a finger against his lips. He then signed him as he took his gun out. 

"Perfect, I was just in the mood to play tonight," Nikolai winked as he readied his gun. 

**** 

As Amethyst got lost in her thoughts, the room went quiet. She drew in a sharp breath as there was a sudden loud noise from a gunshot, followed by a series of firing. 

Her body trembled in fear. She covered her mouth not to let a sound out. 

Just then, silence followed. 

"You are trapped, Mikhail. There's no way out! Just give up!" One of the men yelled.

"uh-huh? All I hear is you bluffing!" Mikhail scoffed at him as he aimed a shot at the man who was rushing to take cover. 

Another series of firing ensued. 

Mikhail stepped forward as Nikolai covered for him. One by one, they took the men down. But another step made Mikhail lose his footing, and he slipped on the floor. Just as he raised his head, he was at a gunpoint, the man smirked at him, "so it was you, Yusef," Mikhail narrowed his eyes at the man.

"Long time no see, Mikhail," Yusef greeted him, too bad no time for pleasantries as it's time for the final goodbye." He told him as he placed his finger on the trigger. But then something hit the back of his head and he missed the shot. 

"What the?" he looked back to find Amethyst with a handful of things she gathered, aiming at him. 

"Get her!" Yusef shouted at his men, Amethyst ran back to the balcony, and two of his men followed her. 

"What the f*ck?" Mikhail was shocked but he quickly recovered and took this chance to snatch the gun from Yusef and the tables had turned. Without a single word of exchange, he pressed the trigger and the bullet went straight into his skull.

"Goodbye, Yusef," he muttered as he made his way to save Amethyst. 

*** 

Amethyst ran out to the balcony and quickly looked around, she had planned to go there, she held her breath as she stepped forward, and she wheezed as her trembling feet took baby steps on the window sill. Don't look down Am, just don't! She told herself as she stepped into the little space between the wall and the open air and mind that she was on the 10th floor. She scoffed at her stupidity, what was the need to attract attention to herself?  

"What the?" The guy cursed as he saw her struggling to keep herself steady fighting against the wild wind.

The man aimed the gun at her and shouted, "Get down here!" 

"In your dreams!" She scoffed, "Shoot me if you want!" She added. She knew they'd want her alive. If they did shoot that was fine too. Either she died by a bullet or by the fall but she wasn't going with them ever!

Just before they could utter another word, the sound of the gunshot froze her on the spot as if she wasn't terrified enough, her eyes widened in shock as one of the guys fell down the balcony, when she looked at the other guy, he dropped down dead there. 

"You okay?" Mikhail came outside in search of her. 

"What do you think?" Her trembling voice replied against the wind making it barely audible.

"What the hell you've been doing there?" His eyes widened in horror.

"I didn't want them to get their hands on me," She shouted as she shrugged.