Chapter 27

"Your brother's alive, okay? He's alive!" He confessed. 

As soon as the words left his mouth, relief washed over her, "Thank goodness," Her legs turned into jelly as she landed thud on the ground.

"I'll take you to him, happy? Now give me that damn thing!" He grabbed her hands and got the key from her. "You're impossible!" he shook his head as he freed her hands.

He pulled her up on her feet, but her legs refused to move. 

"Oww," she muttered as her legs were numb. She pulled a stunt out there, yeah, but that didn't mean it did not scare her and with the news of her brother being alive, her mind was all over the place. 

 He rolled his eyes at her and effortlessly picked her up in his arms. 

"Hang on tight," he told her, and she wrapped her arms around him securely. Inhaling his scent, she closed her eyes, 'thank goodness, I knew I could trust you' she smiled to herself as they left the chaos behind. 

As they made their way toward the highway, swinging her legs, she rested her head comfortably on his chest. Raising her head, she then brought her face close to him. He turned his face away, and she frowned. 

"I just don't wanna see your face right now," There was palpable anger in his voice. 

"Okay," She shrugged as she rested her head back on his chest, but her gaze lingered on his face.

"I thought I said something, lady?" He groaned. 

"You didn't say I can't look at your face." She retorted. 

"Your mouth is just as sharp, with the danger you put yourself in, aren't you supposed to be saying something else?" 

"I'm not sorry," She said nonchalantly. He glared at her.

"I'm not." She told him without averting her gaze, if I didn't do this, you'd probably never open your mouth would you?" She narrowed her eyes at him.

He heaved a defeated sigh. 

"You're such a handful." He shook his head.

After they reached their car he gently placed her in the passenger seat, returning to his seat his eyes caught his prey. 

"I need to retrieve something from him, don't I?" He pointedly looked at the police officer who was in hurry to get himself out of there. 

"Just let him be, I've seen enough blood bath for today," She leaned back and closed her eyes, now that all the adrenaline had drained off she felt tired, "There was nothing in that pen drive, so he's going to cry anyway, why bother?"

"Excuse me?" He snapped his head in her direction.

"You didn't actually think I'll hand over your 'suspiciously important' information, did you?" She opened her eyes and looked at him questioningly. 

"You did take my important stuff from my room." He frowned at her.

"Oh, so that was actually important? Oh no, but I was so mad at you, I threw it away, you know?" She blinked at him. 

His eyes widened in horror. 

Seeing colors drain from his face, she laughed out loud. 

"This is my first time seeing you like this," She laughed, "Oh my god, you looked so cute, like an innocent lost kid. Aww, Relax, I was kidding. It's still in your room, I hid it somewhere you wouldn't think of, just wanted to get back at you."  

His grip tightened on the steering wheel as his eyes shone a murderous glint. 

"I'm not sorry for that either," She just shrugged his glare off and leaned back comfortably. 

"You're right, I should be sorry instead." He nodded as he started the engine.

"You better, I haven't forgiven you for anything, yet." She told him as she looked out of the window. For the rest of the way, they drove in silence. 

Amethyst looked at the setting sun as they passed by the field, the sky illuminated red, growing deeper with every passing minute, her mind took her back to the similar ride they had on her first day in the country, a similar life-threatening incident, a similar ride back home, that time she was so anxious, so desperate to find her brother and finally today she was assured, of her brother's life, of his safety. 

"You said you'd take me to my brother, I hope you'd do that, this time, please don't break my heart." She whispered. 

***

She didn't realize when she fell asleep when she woke up they had reached their destination. But when she looked outside, the place was unknown to her. 

"We aren't home yet?" She asked her husband. 

"I said I'll take you to your brother." He replied. Her breath got caught in her chest, she felt a lump in her throat as tears brimmed in her eyes. 

"That's right, he's inside. Go see him." He told her. 

She couldn't believe her ears. 

"You really took me here?" A drop of dear fell done on her cheek, "He's really here?" She asked.

"Hmm," He nodded. 

She leaped at him and hugged him tight, "Thank you, thank you so much!" 

Without a word, she then sprung out of the car, but she paused and then turned back, "You're not coming?" She lowered herself to the car's window and asked. 

He didn't answer, she didn't push him either. 

"Anyway, thank you, once again." She smiled at him as she rushed inside the building. 

"This way, please," The guards greeted her and showed her the way. 

She felt giddy as she walked across the hall and climbed the stairs. This place was a mansion too, not as big as their home but somewhat similar to it. 

"this way," the guard led her upstairs to the room at the end, the guard opened the door for her, and she thanked him as she entered inside. 

Back at the main door, Mikhail looked on even after she was out of his sight, 

"I'm sorry, I'm going to break your heart again but I this time I don't have the courage to see him nor do I have the strength to see you break apart right in front of me." He whispered to himself.