Chapter 28

"This room, ma'am," the guard brought her to a room, "Here?" Her voice cracked as multiple emotions gushed through her mind. 

Finally, she thought as she placed her hand on the doorknob, her journey to her brother was finally complete. With a big smile, she opened the door and thanked the guard before entering the room. 

But the smile on her face disappeared as soon as she entered the room. The room looked like a private, opulent hospital room. It was spacious and elegantly furnished. Two of the guards were present there, who rose from their large leather chairs, acknowledging her presence. The sound of the machines was very unpleasant to her ears. Her legs started to shake as she made her way to the center of the room covered by white curtains. Her hands shook as she held onto them and slowly opened the curtains. 

She gasped as her worst nightmare had come true, there lay her brother on the bed, his body connected to a network of medical equipment, a machine connected to a breathing tube that passed through his throat, along with a feeding tube, numerous monitoring devices to monitor his vital signs, intravenous lines connected to the fluid hanging on the stand beside his bed. Tears strolled down her face as she knew what they meant. The things that she had only seen from a distance when she visited her brother and her best friend at work, but now they were the only things keeping him alive.

"Why?" she whispered, as he approached him, "Why are you here like this?" She wept as she caressed his face. 

"Chris..." She called out, "Chris... Christopher!" His eyes were closed, and his face looked as if he was sleeping peacefully, but no matter how many times she called him, he refused to wake up.

"Chris...Chris..." She continuously chanted his name but in vain, just then she felt a hand on her shoulder, turning around she found Yulia, she immediately hugged her and broke down. Yulia patted her back softly as she cried.

***

Amethyst held her brother's hand as she wiped her tears, Yulia offered her a glass of water. Only three remained in the room as the guards went out giving them privacy.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine," Yulia told her. 

"how long has he been like this?" Amethyst asked, "What happened to him?" 

"5 months ago," Yulia replied.

Around the time she lost contact with her brother, of course, a heavy sigh escaped her lips. As Yulia began the story she started connecting the dots.

After the death of the politician and being thrown out of the hospital, Christopher had nowhere to go as he was hunted down both by the police and the mafia circle around the politician. As things turned worse, he lived in shadows for a while until his fateful encounter with Mikhail, and with him saving Mikhail's life, Mikhail was indebted to him and eventually hired Chris as his doctor, who also gradually became his confidante. 

"They became besties, you know, to the point you'd think they're dating," Yulia told her.

A small smile spread on her face as she remembered asking the same question to her brother. 

"And of course, your brother talked a lot about you, he didn't want you to know what he was going through, that he was involved in a mafia feud, that now he wasn't your good brother at all, but let me reassure you, he was an angel, the angel who saved my life, Mikhail took me in because of him, everything was still fine until 5 months ago when everything went down."

They were in their hideout discussing the plan of action, subduing their enemy when their location was compromised and they were attacked when they least expected it.