FIVE: promotion

sadie

four

five

six

seven

eight

nine

ten months later, new york has never felt more like home to me and i've never been there. i'm so close to a flight there, i know it. alfred isn't budging when i question him about anything. he's just warned me, multiple times that i can't tell no one and absolutely no one who i am.

he's told me to prepare lies i'm going to tell people i meet and present them to him soon. he needs to make sure that if i'm going to flea, i won't get caught in the middle of it. without him i would have been fucked, none of this would've been possible for me, and for that reason i am so very grateful for him.

"ms. astor." penelope knocked on my office snapping me out of my thoughts.

"yes love?"

"your father needs you at his office." she informed me.

"thank you." i walked out of my office and made my way to his. i have a pretty good idea of what he's about to say to me, and frankly i'm dreading it.

i knocked in his office door and let myself in. "ah! my daughter!" his face lit up.

"papa." i closed the office door behind me and sat on the chair in front of his desk.

"today is the day i've been looking forward to for months now and i'm sure you were too. you're finally getting that promotion i've promised you if you kept up that performance. you're only a couple steps away from being in my position! of course you're getting a raise too, given your work load is going to double now, but after this it'll only get easier, you'll just have to lead this whole company and they'll make everything happen for you." he had the biggest smile on his face. i've never seen him this happy in my whole life.

i only sat with a fake smile when all i really want to do is go home and weep myself to sleep. "i've been waiting for this, every day i wake up and wonder when this day would come! thank you papa, i will not disappoint you!" i lied, acting surprised.

"you have no chances to disappoint me, you can not fuck up now. sadie, i mean it. no mistakes whatsoever, understood?" he raised a brow.

"yes papa." i nodded.

"speaking of mistakes." he paused. "i've noticed that there have been some large bank withdrawals on your account for months now. care to explain?"

"oh i've been withdrawing money, cash, and donating it to many different organizations anonymously." i lied.

"very well, i'm glad your doing good in this world. i'm going to need a list of all the organizations you've donated to and the amount of money you've donated." he said as he looked though some of the papers on his desk.

"yes papa, i'll bring them to you as soon as possible." i nodded, he was silent. i took that as my que to exit the office. "fuck." i mumbled to myself as i walked to my office.

"congratulations miss." penelope stood up as she saw me approach.

"thank you pen, i'm going to head out for the day, celebrate." i lied once again. "i'll see you tomorrow."

☆☆☆

sick of this wig on my fucking head, it makes me so sweaty and itchy. the worst thing is that i have to sleep with it too. i can risk not having it on, mama or anyone could walk in while i'm sleeping and find out i have red hair.