Chapter 15

I think it's been a month.

Father beats me everyday. He says he is making up for lost time. He mostly likes to kick my ribs but sometimes he makes me do other things. When I first got here I wasn't allowed out of my room. I didn't get the tub either. He says he has to reteach the rules to me.

Sometimes I get to eat some mush. Usually I don't but when I do I know I've been good. I don't think I'm thinking right. Sometimes I can hear voices and it really confuses me. I'll hear Easton call me for dinner but when I look around my room he's not there. I'll hear Milo and Brandon arguing but they aren't here. It's confusing but I also find comfort in it. Hearing their voices helps me calm down, even if it's just in my head. It's like they're really here and that's what's keeping me going I think.

I hear footsteps coming towards my door. I scramble to the corner of my room. It won't make a difference but I try anyway. I know he'll see me but maybe if I hide in the corner he'll go away. He unlocks the door and it swings open.

"Good morning Grace," he says.

I'm not supposed to talk unless I'm answering a question. That's one of my rules. It's proving to be the easiest to revert back to I think. Everything else has been hard for me to get used to again after living with my brothers. He comes in my room and closes the door behind him. He holds out a small cup to me.

"Would you like some water?"

"Yes please."

It's been a long time since I've had water. He comes over and I uncurl myself from the ball I had tucked into. He then holds the cup to my lips. I know this is a test. He had not said I could drink it yet so I can't. I sit there as the water touches my lips. I want to drink it so bad. He smiles at me. I can't really tell if it was a real smile or a fake one.

"Go ahead and drink. You were a good girl for waiting."

I slowly drink the water. It felt really nice on my throat. As I finished the water he got up. It seemed like he was going to go away which was odd because he usually spent a lot of time in here with me when he comes in.

"I have to go now. You'll stay awake won't you? You know what happens if you don't." He says.

I nod at him. He leaves and closes my door behind him.

I wanted to sleep so bad. I hadn't slept in a few days, but if I sleep without being told he takes away my food and water for a week. I don't know how often I get food and water but I know it's more than once a week. I have to stay awake so that I can eat.

I lay down on the cold floor. I find it easy to zone out when I lay down which is how I keep myself awake. Thinking helps me. When I lay down I think I hear a voice but I ignore it. I think about my brothers and Angelo and Luci. I think about Katie and Lillie. I hope they don't think I left them again. I think about Adrian and Emil and Mason and Mia. They were my new friends. I guess we aren't really friends. I only spent a few days with them but they still feel like friends.

I hear shuffling in the corner of my room. I lift my head a little bit. I thought dad had left. Instead of my dad I see Milo. My eyes widen.

"Hi Gracie."

He comes further into my room. I try to sit up as best as I can.

"How are you?" he asks.

That was a question so I was supposed to answer.

"Not so good."

He comes over and sits next to me. I wasn't really sure what he was doing here. He must have come from home though because I can almost smell Easton's cooking on him. He looks at me. I missed seeing his face.

"I miss you Gracie. Every single day."

That wasn't a question. I wanted to tell him I missed him too but I don't want to be punished.

"You have to stay strong for us while we try to find you okay?"

Find me?

"You're not here?"

Stupid.

He didn't ask you a question and now he was going to beat you.

"No Gracie. I'm not here. I wish I was. I would give you all the hugs and kisses in the world and let you keep all of my sweatshirts and watch Frozen with you until I went crazy."

I laugh a little bit but that sends me into a coughing fit. I think my throat is too dry for laughing.

"I have to go now Gracie."

"Don't."

"I have to."

He was gone as quick as he was there.

"Milo?"

I think I just cried and cried and cried that night. I managed to stay awake but my eyes felt puffy. All I wanted to do was sleep but I had to stay awake.

"Milo?"

He was gone. He said they were looking for me but he was still gone. I didn't like being alone. It was too quiet.

Right as I was about to give up and go to sleep I hear my tray slide in. I go over to the little hatch and see that I've earned my mush. I felt a bit happier knowing I was being good. I ate my mush and I think my stomach appreciated it at least a little. When I get mush it also means I get to sleep. I was grateful for that.

I go to my corner and curl up. I have a thin blanket here that I use to cover my body. I was only ever allowed to wear a tank top and shorts so it was pretty cold. I throw my blanket over my body and try to get comfy. It's times like this where I just wish I had my teddy bear or my pillow.

I let my eyes close and drift off to sleep.

It was never a peaceful sleep. I'm haunted by the day I was taken. I see Sylas's red hands. He was bleeding from his abdomen and he got really pale before collapsing on the ground. He was just trying to protect me.

I see Brandon who was trying to get through the door with everything he had. He didn't stop trying up until the last second. He looked horrified as Sylas went down and he couldn't do anything.

Finally I see Maddox. He's terrifying to watch as he tries to bring the door down. I watch as he sees Sylas get shot. His eyes go wide and i see him scream his name. I can't hear it from inside but seeing it was enough. I watch as he puts everything he has into getting the door. The glass starts to break and he tries harder. I run to him and pound on the glass as I cry out for him. I watch his face crumble as dad drags me away. I could see him calling my name from the other side.

That's how the dream always ends. Me getting dragged away and my family stuck on the other side.
~~~
1273
Happy reading!
-day<3