Chapter 30

I look around Lexi's house. It's really homey. It feels like one of those houses you see in the movies. It also kind of smells like Christmas cookies. She points out different rooms to me. We pass the kitchen where an elderly woman is making what looks to be soup.

"Grandma, this is my friend Grace," she says.

Her Grandma turns to look at me.

"Oh wonderful. Alexandra doesn't bring any friends around."

"She didn't need to know that Gram."

"Oh hush. Dinner will be ready soon. Why don't you show her your room."

Lexi nods and leads me to a set of stairs. We come to a door that has little decorations on the outside of it.

"I haven't really had the chance to decorate it the way I want it to," she says.

She pushes the door open and I walk in. There's lots of boxes, but there's also pictures on the wall and her bed is set up. She also has colorful lights around her room, so it was purple colored. It's a really nice room. It kind of looks like her.

I look at the pictures she has hanging up. They're mostly of her with a girl with neon orange hair. My eyes widen. I didn't know you could have neon orange hair.

"Who's that?"

Lexi looks over to what I was looking at. She looks kind of sad.

"That's Ruby. We aren't- we don't talk anymore."

I want to ask why she still has pictures if they aren't friends but I don't think it was my place to do so. I just keep looking around the room.

"Who's Mia?" she asks.

"My best friend. Why?"

Lexi holds up my phone that has Mia's name and picture flashing across the screen. I send her to voicemail.

A call from Easton immediately starts coming through. I send him to voicemail as well.

"Jeez, did you not tell them where you were going?"

I think my face looks guilty because she just sighs. She takes my phone and powers it off.

"There. Now let's have a girls night," she says.

We do lots of different things. She puts masks on our faces and we paint our nails. We also get to have ice cream before we have dinner. Easton never lets me do that. The soup her Grandma made was really good. After dinner we put on what Lexi calls 'the staple movies of girlhood'. I don't know what that means but we started with a movie called Mean Girls. It's pretty good. Then she puts on something called Clueless. I think I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of that one. Lexi's bed is really comfortable and I fall asleep with no issues.

-

I wake up to the sound of an alarm. Lexi groans and slams her hand down on the clock.

"Alright Lexi get up. Time for school. You love school," she says.

I giggle at the way she talks to herself because that's how I sound in my head.

"Don't laugh. You have to get up too," Lexi tells me.

It's then my turn to groan. She laughs as she grabs some clothes and leaves the room. A few minutes later I hear a shower turn on. I reach around for my phone and turn it on. I had way too many notifications and it comes back to me that I snuck out.

I snuck out.

Holy balls i'm in trouble.

I open my messages and am a bit overwhelmed. I click on Maddox's chat first.