29. Inside Voices.

"Well, that's a relief."

"Alain!"

That name had come from all mouths bar mine with different emotions projected from each one.

So, this was the sister. I studied her without feeling guilty since she was doing the same.

If not for her very feminine assets, I would have mistaken her for one of the triplets, though her face lacked the hard edge and hidden brutality that was in their eyes.

"Wow, you are tiny." I blurted before I knew it.

She raises an eyebrow, eyes glinting mischievously, flushing I add, "you know what I mean, everyone I've met here is all legs."

"That's enough," growls Cain, the 'sunny' bastard reaching for Alain who was still lounging on the bed and hustling her out the door.

"I like you, we should hang," Alain shouts before the door slams behind all of them, leaving me in the room trying to piece together the events of the past few minutes.

Three successive knocks on the vast windows on one side of the room pulls me from my thoughts.

I creep to the window cautiously, seeing nothing on the other side, I undo the latch and it swings open almost taking off my face.

I hear the distinct sound of flapping wings and I suffer a wing slap before I think to duck.

"What the hell!" I exclaim rubbing my smarting chick.

"Shhhhhhh."

Nyx.

"You, you...you... lizard! You scared me, what are you doing flitting around while invisible and where did you go earlier leaving me to the wolves alone," I ask agitated.

"Be quiet! This room is bugged, and I had to leave or Darian would have sniffed me out in a second. I'm lucky stupid Dolly wasn't with him."

"Who is Dolly," I ask out loud my curiosity getting the best of me.

The next minute, I feel something stuffed into my mouth.

"You are going to get yourself killed, speak as I'm doing... on the inside how is that so hard to grasp?"

"It's freaky," I grumble, feeling slightly ashamed as he removes the gag.

"Who is Dolly?" I try thinking.

"Fates, could you be any louder?"

"Sorry."

"Stop it, just think the words, like having an imaginary conversation with your conscience."

"Oh, I have plenty of those."

"I figured," he answers sarcasm overflowing.

"Is this better?" I try again.

"Quite."

"You know, you sound like some English noble with something up his..."

"Finish that, I dare you."

"Only your accent is definitely not it."

"My master moved around a lot when he wasn't busy in Faery."

"Speaking off," I start lying in my bed facing the ceiling, "Tell me more about this master of yours."

"I'd rather not, I don't trust you enough, and this place isn't helping either."

It is then that I remember the reason we were having this conversation in my head, "Is it just audio or are there cameras as well?"

"Just... don't do anything weird in here, definitely don't dress or undress, you never know with these people."

"That sounds awfully discriminate, what did they do?"

"Only started the biggest war in all of faery history, nothing big."

"You know sometimes I really can't tell sarcasm and real with you."

"It means I'm doing it right."

"Who is Dolly?" I ask again sprawling on the bed.

"Before I answer that..."

"Which is never."

"BEFORE I answer that, do you at least have an idea of how to get out of here? Or are you just going to lie there and wait for your non-existent knight in shining armour?"

"Got it, no more questions about Dolly."

"Look at that, the head is more than just a white curtain."

"Sodd off! You surly lizard it's not white, its platinum," I grumble, turning onto my side away from his general direction.

I wonder what happened with Dolly.

"I can hear that, idiot."

"Well don't listen."

"Shhhhhhh... inside voice woman."

"Sorry."

"You are going to die." He answers in a disgruntled voice.

"Your last master must be thrilled now."

As soon I think it, I want to take it back, that was a low blow.

"Nyx." I start sitting up.

"Don't apologize, you might be right, get some sleep. You have a big day tomorrow."

With that, the window swings open and I feel the night draft before, and before I can step from the bed, it swings shut with saddening finality.

Chewing on my guilt as I flung myself back on the bed, it takes a moment to recall his last words.

"Wait, what big day!"