48. Bitter Sweet.

KING DARIAN.

I watch from above as the leaves settle revealing Rhysand and I must admit, he looked better than I thought he would.

I didn't really think the girl would be able to break him out; only the wretched woman could undo the spell holding him captive in the library, or so we all believed.

I had learned that lesson the hard way; after sending my most trusted commander with instructions she had practically gloated one night during a drinking binge... hers, I was just a forced participant. In hindsight, I should have known better than to think she would make such a slip-up, drunk or not.

Ricarrd had walked into her trap and had been obliterated, in the following days, his entire family down to pets and slaves were found dead in the most horrifying ways.

Needless to say, I had not tried to free my friend and bonded brother again. I had also taken explicit measures to ensure no one ever tried to break him out. He hadn't liked it, but he'd understood.

Who knew what a spit-fire little girl would do; I'm not one to have futile hope but I prayed for her family to be safe from the subsequent curse either way.

Khalil and Rhys reunite in a heart wrenching embrace; the two had been closer than brothers, even Keon, the unfeeling bastard looked emotional, I would have been part of the reunion but my actions had created a divide among all of us. The whole scene feels bitter sweet, emphasis on the bitter.

They were right to hate me, I wince, remembering the anger and hate shining in Keon's eyes when he came for the girl. It makes me hate her and myself more, would I ever be free?

Now even my 'daughter' was dead, though it had only been a matter of time. She had threatened them after all, as punishment after I forced Mahina to enter the trials hoping it would keep her safe.

Unable to help it, I wing a little closer to the group just as Eliane joins them, my heart breaking all over again. She had been Meagan's best friend. This would have been my family if everything hadn't gone to shit all those years ago.

As if sensing me, Khalil suddenly looks up searching, his sudden movement causes the rest to follow, staring up quizzically. Wishful thinking had me wishing they'd see me but I knew they couldn't. I was incorporeal, there was no way any of them would see me unless I willed it, only...No way!

I stare aghast not believing my eyes. Mahina was staring straight at me as if she could see me hovering above them. I'm about to sift out when I notice her gaze was quizzical, curious, I waited to see if she'd alert the rest but she didn't.

She looked so much like her, I muse, especially with her head tilted and that expression on her face.

It had been painful when I first saw her, but that lasted until she opened her mouth.

My Meagan was a stickler for decorum, she wouldn't have been caught dead speaking like the girl did, especially in public.

This is not the time for this Darian, I scold myself trying to summon the will to leave. I had brought this on myself.

Mahina must see the change in my expression because her own softens, and then with a nod, she turns back to the rest before they notice.

I should head back home, the distraction I had left for my sons, so they could make it to faery wouldn't hold long.

Those hot-headed boys! I was going to explain everything to them, but with everything that happened, I knew they'd be in no mood to listen.

It had pained me to see them bond with their 'sister' and I had tried my best to keep her from them several times, but that only cemented their protective nature.