1 - Why?

natalie

"Why do we have to take her?" I helped mom put the white sheet on the bed in the guest room. I guess it's no longer a guest room now. Since this girl is going to be living here. "I mean she's almost 18 right?"

"She just turned 17 Natalie."

"In May. That's like 3 months ago." I looked at her, "This is gonna ruin my summer." I sighed, "And my Senior year!"

"It's for one year Natalie." My dad stood in the doorway, "We're her legal guardians now so this is how it has to be," He put his hands on my shoulders, "Why can't you just accept this?"

"Because she is going to ruin everything."

"You will be nice to her tomorrow Natalie Rose." My dad squeezed my shoulder slightly.

"Why aren't you making this lecture to Teddy?" I looked at him as I shook his hand off. He is only here because Mackenzie is about to be here.

"Because I'm not an asshole." Ted walked past the bedroom door.

"Language!" My mom walked towards the door to leave, "Especially when she gets here."

"I don't get how she's your best friends kid and we've never met her." I looked at my father.

"Mark always wanted to get you guys to be friends but then his job took him to California." My dad shook his head, "Be nice to her please."

"I will." I nodded.

He raised his eyebrows in his 'I know you're lying' way.

"I really will."

He kissed my head goodnight, "Get some sleep kiddo."

I watched him disappear up the carpeted stairs.

I have the whole basement to myself. There are two bedrooms, a gym, and a living room. After Kidd went to college 2 years ago, he said I could have his room. I thought there was going to be remnants of him in here but he completely stripped in.

He moved to California. It's a long ways away from Michigan.

I picked up my phone and texted my groupchat. My friend group has my closest friends since kindergarten. Me, Brooks, London, and Cass.

nattie balls
so she's coming tmr

brizzy
maybe try to be nice?
ik u arent good at that

london bridge
i think shes good at being nice
she just has to give up her
space to a complete stranger

cassiopiea
fair

brizzy
could be worse yk
it could be a dude moving in

london bridge
brooks has a valid point

brizzy
i always have valid points

cassiopiea
maybe you guys will fall in love
and move in together
and have lots of babies

nattie balls
thats gay

london bridge
you are gay

nattie balls
whatever

I set the phone on my nightstand and picked up my room a little bit.

I get that she has to have a place to live but why not with her grandparents or something? Why does she have to live with us?

"Lights out in 10 please!" My moms voice called down the stairs.

I never actually go to bed before 11 pm. My mom says lights out at 9.