36 - Oh sweet girl

natalie

It's Monday.

It doesn't feel like Monday already.

"You ready to go to school?" Mackenzie wrapped her arms around my shoulders from behind me. "It's okay not to be ready."

I turned around and looked at her, "I think I'm ready."

"You think? Or you're sure?" She raised her eyebrows.

"I'm fine."

She nodded, kissed my lips, and went to retrieve her backpack.

It only took us a few minutes to get to the car.

I feel like a slug. Everything around me is moving so quickly but it feels like I'm stuck in place.

"Hey I love you." Mac grabbed my hand in hers and pulled out of the driveway.

I squeezed her hand, "I love you too, Mac." I leaned back in the seat, staring out the window.

I wonder how she dealt with her parents' deaths. She must have had it harder than me. She doesn't have any relatives. No brothers or sisters to fall back on. No close friends in Canada. She lost both of her parents in one night right after her birthday. Then she was shipped off to a tiny town in Michigan with a family she'd only ever heard about.

"What are you thinking, Nat?" Mackenzie glanced at me as she pulled out of the driveway.

I looked at her, "About everything." I sat up straight, "Do you think they'll have wings or pizza today at lunch? Or do you want to just go out and get something?"

She smiled at me, "We can do whatever you want." She nodded and turned her focus back to the road, "They'll probably have pizza. Wings are Wednesday."

"You're right."

Soon enough, we were at the school.

I need to get myself together. I have to. I can't let this make me spiral.

And state is next week.

I have to be okay.

Mackenzie pulled me into the school. I say pulled because I stood outside the car for 30 minutes before she 'took matters into her own hands' and physically pulled me by my hand into the large building.

"Natalie!" Ruby spotted me in the hallway, "So I know you are getting tired of everyone saying sorry but my mom sends her condolences. And she made you a casserole."

I did my best to smile at her, "Thank you Ruby."

She nodded.

She and Mackenzie were talking for a few minutes. I tuned out of the conversation. I can't be bothered by the chemical properties of hydrogen.

English sped by. Calculus too. Coach wasn't even here today. We had a sub. I skipped art class and laid down in the nurse's office. If anyone tried to get me in trouble, I'd just remind them that my mom passed away.

"Hey! Natalie! I brought brownies. Regular ones." Cassie held up a small tupperware container.

"Sweet. Did you make them or your brother?" I raised my eyebrows at her, trying to feel normal. Trying to tease her the way I should be able to.

"I did." She shook her head, "Sprinkles on top too."

"Yummy." I set my backpack down in my seat next to Mackenzie, "Someone wanna go get in line with me?"

Mackenzie stood up.

A few people were missing from the table. But Jackson and Alex had a football lunch today and I'm 99% sure Sam was doing something for the yearbook.