Episode VIII- Golden Cage

21st Century

21st Century

New York

"Sweaty pigs."

He mumbled before cupping his nose because the stench wafted off freely.

He failed to realize that the words said in disgust were not punctuated in a whisper. They were loud enough to be heard by everyone.

After his declaration, a dead silence settled in the hallway and all eyes landed on him. Noticing the sudden change in atmosphere, Alex looked up and inhaled sharply, apprehending his mistake. Naturally, his frame tensed, and fear gripped the heart. Gulping audibly, he started to back away but was roughly pushed by the quarterback- Victor Ivanshov.

Victor's dark eyes shined in displeasure as he glared at the nerd furiously. He brought Alex closer to his face by the loose hoodie. The two males were of equal height, but the same cannot be said about the build.

Alex resembled a toothpick in front of the bulky football player.

"What did you say?" Victor spat through clenched teeth, and Alex shivered within his hold. Perspiration coats his dermis like a second layer. He found it difficult to breathe while fearing the consequences of his stupidity. The audience watched both in excitement and pity, whereas some even pulled out their phones to record the next scene. Victor brought his fist up and punched Alex square on the cheek. The impact was hard and it sent the lanky boy tumbling on the floor. A pained wince was perceived.

Laughter and hoots filled the silent hallways as the other players cheered for Victor. Alex gasped in both shock and hurt while clutching his throbbing cheek. For a moment, the world around him spins. When he got punched, his glasses were thrown somewhere, and blindly, he reached for them. His palms grazed the floor until they met a pair of soft hands.

Delicate and cold feminine hands.

The intruder helped him to put the spectacles back and once his vision cleared, his breath hitched under the intense stare of honey-brown eyes.

Students gaped at the newcomer and bit their lips in anticipation.

"Babe, get away from him," Victor said gently to the person, but one stern glare paused his approaching steps. The person helped the fallen Alex to stand and offered him their scented handkerchief to clean the wound that was bleeding freely on his right cheekbone.

"Have you gone insane, Victor?" Her voice sliced the tensed silence and Victor lowered his eyes in shame for being caught by her. His heart throbbed nervously.

"Get lost."

She spat acidly, not carrying a trace of emotion on her face and everybody scurried, clearing the hallway. They threw curious glances at the trio one last time, then disappeared into their respective classes.