Episode XIX~ Lord Arnold

The Ambaram

"Welcome home, Lord Arnold."

Her whisper sent shivers down his spine and he gulps, feeling the sudden tightness in his pants.

Diam huffs in irritation. He never liked this female as she can capture the master's attention easily where he has to take so many measures to achieve his one pat. He stubbornly stomps his right foreleg on the ground and gazes at the newly formed pattern of soil.

Arnold notes her every moment like a hawk. The sway of her hips made his stomach somersault. Her flirtation was the last thing on his mind when he has to report to the chieftain about the grave business.

"Laila, how have you been?" he asked while tipping his head in greeting and she feigned sadness before cutting the distance between them and standing by his side. Her soft and beautiful hands crawl on his knee and trail a path to his thigh.

"I have been miserable without you, Arnold, and was looking for your return." She whispers, lowering her gaze on his boot-clad foot and he leans a little, bending by the waist to reach her eye level. His gloved finger tilts her chin up and a devilish smirk replaces his calm face.

"Kindly explain the reason for such expectations?" He asked as she brushed his fingers away and wraps her palm around the back of his neck.

"You know why, Arnold. Of all the men in this tribe, you have stolen my heart." He chuckles pulling away from her hold and straightens himself back on Diam's back.

"I pity you, Laila. You fell for a devil." His words pierced through her heart and tears clouded her vision.

"What about that passionate night we shared in the barn? You weren't complaining then." She reasoned and all the emotions vanished from his face. He turned to look at her.

"I thought that by now you must have understood that it was a mistake. It happened three years ago, Laila and since then I've not touched you. We both were young and got swayed by emotions. I have apologized for that night a hundred times. If it had been any other woman, I had slashed her throat by now, but since you are my Chieftain's daughter and childhood friend, I won't let any harm come to you." He announced and started to walk away.

"Do you have any idea of what I have become from that one mistake, Arnold? You are a male and could walk away from this, but I am a woman. And a woman like me is termed as females without honor. You ruined it for me." She screeched with fury rolling in her eyes and for a moment Arnold found her unpleasant. Her vibrant eyes became molten lava and sweet tongue erupted with bitter juice of hatred. He scoffed and looks back at her with pity.

"Those who believe that a woman's honor lies in her virginity are classic morons, Laila. Your honor lies in your nature and your work. You are the daughter of the chieftain, the one who commands this tribe and whose bloodline has been serving the Ambaram for decades. You are the most honored female here and any man would kill to have you by his side. Just understand this, I am not that man because both my heart and mind are somewhere else. I could never keep you happy and provide a life you deserve. My path is long, full of struggles and thorns. A girl who has been brought with luxuries and love could never understand me. A woman who has danced on the edge of a blade and has cried the tears of blood, might gauge the darkness of my soul and stay by my side without fearing it. Unfortunately, you aren't that woman, Laila.