Episode XXIX~ Evil in the Woods

(WARNING: The following content might be triggering to some. An act of assault and violence has been mentioned. It is my sincere request to the humble readers to kindly skip if things like this makes you uncomfortable.)

The Ambaram

As the icy wind cuts through the sleepy forest of Ambaram, the dried leaves from the top of old trees that were barely appended to the thick and thin branches finally resigned their lives at the top and descended to the solid grounds. They were deteriorating under the harsh attacks of a cruel climate. The dry weather was sucking the moisture out of them. The shady fog wasn't allowing the sunlight to reach them, limiting their source of nourishment. Soon, the trees will discard them completely and as the spring will come around the corner, new buds will sprout, marking the commencement of a new season.

Valentina was sitting on the wooden stairs of the porch, curled in a thick blanket. Her nose was dipped in a book. Arnold has left for his duties at the chief's house early in the morning, a few hours ago from now, leaving her alone in the entire cottage. Surprisingly, today he took Diam with him, unlike the other days. According to Arnold, the poor beast was itching for a run. The limited ground of barn and wide lawn was driving him crazy. He needed a good run to develop heat in his frozen bones. Valentina agreed with Arnold. As much as the horse can generate energy to survive the harsh climatic conditions, it also needs to stretch itself.

The crystalline drops of dew were covering the grounds making it wet and cool. She must have loved this season if her body was healthy. At the moment, she couldn't help but denounce the nearest deity for dawning this curse of the frozen empire. Her teeth were chattering since the morning. The girl was sitting outside because her body craved some fresh air. The small room was starting to drive her crazy and she felt envious of Diam. The animal got a chance to stroll, but what about her. She deserves a little outing too. Arnold must consider this. It will take another five days for the poison to completely drain out of her body as per Udona's calculation and maybe after that, she will muster the courage to ask for his permission. Oh, she missed the sacred witch of the mountain and was eager to see her again. Valentina promised herself, once the winter drives away, the girl will go and visit the old witch.

She squirmed at her position sensing the wind blowing faster. It seeped through the thin pores of the blanket and bites her ashen skin. Her body shudders on impact and begged for warmth. A sneeze rang in the surrounding and she curses once again. Was she about to catch a cold? She must head inside and snuggle under the covers.

"You should go inside."

A husky voice called out, catching her off guard. Her head immediately whipped in the direction of the source and body tenses in alarm. A stranger, a male was standing a few meters away from her, inside the wooden fence circling the cottage with a megawatt smile plastered on his face. The thick fur of a bearskin was covering his shoulders, keeping him warm in the bone-chilling weather. He was a good build specimen and stood at six feet two inches. His blonde hair was combed at back in a loose pony and the lower half of his face was covered with a slight stubble. Judging by the clothes, he seemed one of the tribe members, but looks could be deceiving. He could be anyone pretending to be one of them. Surprisingly, his features resembled the chieftain. Valentina was startled by his impromptu presence. She wasn't expecting anyone at this hour, especially a male. Her heart started to throb. It doesn't feel right. Arnold didn't warn her of anyone stopping by. It means that this man has come unannounced.