[ XXXIII ] SUSPICIONS

PARK SUNGHOON

"Denka, anata ga koko ni kuru to wa omotte imasen." (Your Highness, I'm not expecting you to visit here)

I have so much going on in my mind, and out of all the things, this Japanese guy managed to catch my attention-- managed to annoy me, to be exact. I let out a sigh and glanced around the impressive Galileo Tower. As I approached, there was Galileo, faithfully engrossed in front of his computer, as if it were an everyday ritual. His unkempt silver bangs were hiding his glasses, which he immediately adjusted when he faced me.

"Galileo, I understand that you have a deep longing for your homeland, but I want to gently remind you that you're conversing with me. While I may be familiar with some basic Japanese words, there's still much for me to grasp and comprehend."

"Baka." (Stupid)

Hamada Asahi, known by his alias, Galileo. My trusted ally for years.

"You dared to call the crown prince stupid?" I asserted.

"I thought you said you only know few Japanese words..." He cleared his throat and pretended to type something on his keyboard to avoid the situation.

"Yes, 'baka' is definitely one of those words." Taking a seat on an unoccupied swivel chair, I once again let my gaze wander around the room. It was adorned with an array of Galileo's inventions, some completed and others still in progress, scattered across every corner. With dual degrees in engineering and computer science, he had successfully graduated and was now ambitiously pursuing his master's degree, simultaneously tackling two courses.

"Are you here to ask about Alas?" I didn't answer so it was a sign for him to keep talking, "I haven't found anything suspicious about him, yet."

I stood up and went towards his 5-feet aquarium. I twisted the lid of the fish food jar placed on top of a table, and gradually fed them to the sea creatures inside.

I felt a lump forming in my throat as I uttered, "Ari is behaving strangely." I struggled to find words to express the growing concern within me. "She had a head injury, indeed... but the extent of her memory loss is overwhelming. She can't recall our initial meeting... or the animosity she once held towards me... or even how it all began. It's as if everything has been wiped from her memory... everything."

"Who's Ari?"

Goodness. I should tell him to go out sometimes. He's missing a lot.

"The crown princess of Ariaden. My wife, Asahi."

His brows shot up. He finally faced me, putting his hand off the mouse, "Oh, right. The lawnmower girl?"

"The what?"

He slightly chuckled and faced his computer again, "You said she hit her head, right? What did the doctor say?"

I stared at him for a while before heaving an exaggerated sigh, "Nothing's wrong with her nor her brain. The injury wasn't that bad, according to the doctor."

"And? What are you trying to imply?"

"Investigate her." I stated in a straightforward tone. "I don't want to assume anything, but I can't help it. Is she just pretending? Everything about her is so different! I can't even stay with her for a long time because it feels so different. It was as if... I lost Ari. I don't know..."

"Aren't you just overthinking? Maybe she just really lost her memories. It will surely come back after some time. Just observe her for a while before concluding an investigation, Your Highness."

I made the decision to heed Asahi's advice. Alright then, I'll take the time to observe her closely. Perhaps the doctor's initial assessment was incorrect, and Ari genuinely experienced memory loss that could potentially return in due course.

"Baby... I miss you, too. But I really can't right now. You know how important..."

I found myself startled as Ari's voice reached my ears. She stood on her balcony engaged in conversation with someone over her phone. With her bedroom door unlocked, I seized the opportunity and entered without bothering to knock, my eyes widening at the unexpected scene before me.

Did I hear it, right? Baby?

"... Yes, soon. I love you."

My fists immediately clenched. It was as if my feet were firmly planted on the ground. I can't move. What the hell did I just hear?

"Fuck, Sunghoon?!" Terror immediately crossed her face. She hid her phone behind her back, "Did you..."

"I just want to say good night. Why are you so surprised?" I managed to show a smile and walked towards her.

She gulped and took a step back, "Oh, I was just... I wasn't really expecting you to come here..."

I gazed at her, my jaw tight with tension. The overwhelming feeling of anguish and frustration welled up within me. I could no longer bear it. How could she utter those three words to anyone other than me? It pierced my heart, leaving me feeling a mix of betrayal, hurt, and disbelief.

"Why wouldn't you anticipate your husband visiting you at night, Ari?" I pulled her closer by the waist, my voice filled with a mix of frustration and anger. "Actually, I recall promising my parents that we would try to conceive. How about we make that happen right now?"

My one hand rubbed her back until it reached her night gown's zipper. I tilted my head to kiss her ear, "How dare you... cheat on me?"

"What do you mean..." Her voice was shaking.

"Who were you talking to earlier?" I traced her neck with the tip of my nose. My hand traveled slowly towards her arm. I heard her slight whimper when I squeezed it hard. My nails dug into her soft skin. "I swear. The moment I know the truth about you, Ari... you're dead."