INTEZAAR-11♡

As Srishti worked diligently on her files, a melody filled her headphones and enveloped her in its soothing embrace.

Meharbani jaate jaate mujh pe kar gaya...
Ghuzarta sa lamha ek daman bhar gaya...
Tere nazara mila, roshan sitara mila, Taqdeer ki kashtiyon ko kinara mila...
-raabata

As Srishti immersed herself in the melody playing through her headphones, the sound of her door opening pulled her out of her reverie. She quickly paused the music and turned to see who had entered.

SRISHTI POV

"Saru, come have your food," my mother yelled as she entered my room for the fourth time

"Saru, come have your food," my mother yelled as she entered my room for the fourth time. I responded with a casual, "coming in 2 minutes," but it seemed her patience had reached its limit.

"Saru, your 2 minutes! It's been an hour! Are you coming or not?" she shouted as she approached my desk, and I found myself momentarily deafened by her loud voice.

"Alright, I'm coming," I said in pain as she yanked my right ear. "Ouch, Mom! Okay, okay, you can let go of my ear. I'm coming. Just let me save my work, okay?"

After having dinner with my family, they settled down to watch TV or chat. I was late for dinner because I had lost track of time. However, my little rocket kept me company, excitedly telling me about a cartoon movie she had recently watched. I couldn't help but chuckle at her adorable expressions.

"Hey Saru, did you talk to him?" my sister-in-law inquired.

She was referring to his call, which hadn't come in almost two days. He hadn't reached out or left a message. Quite rude, I thought.

"No, bhabhi," I replied, and she simply nodded, understanding that I didn't want to discuss the topic further.

After dinner, as I returned to my room to complete my remaining work, my phone started ringing. I dashed towards it, hoping it might be a call from an unknown number. To my disappointment, it was Isha calling me, which made me smirk.

"Why would he call you? He probably doesn't even remember you exist," I teased myself before picking up the call.

"Hi Isha, how are you?" I asked as I switched between applications on my laptop.

"I'm fine, how about you? What are you up to?" she inquired, and I was pleased to hear her usual way of asking what I was doing.

"Nothing much, just re-reading the patients' files. What about you?" I replied.

"Same here, I was doing some intern work. So, what's bothering you? You looked tense today," Isha observed.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just received a marriage proposal," I shared. There was a brief pause on the line, as if Isha had received a shock.

"A proposal? Oh, that's nice. So, what do you think?" she asked.

"My family has already said yes, and honestly, the family seems good, so I think it's a good choice for me," I sighed.