8

Mentions of scars

Mentions of scars. LOTS of them.

Jinbe stared at her with something akin to respect. She was just about the only human fisher tiger held respect for, seeing as how she had killed nearly a dozen celestial dragons without hesitation. She had been the one to free fisher tiger the day he'd grown so close to becoming a slave.

How ironic that she had become a slave herself. And the branding being placed on her neck... how cruel.

"Of course," He bowed respectfully, much to Shanks's surprise. "Anything for you, Queen Aridam."

"Queen?" Shanks raised his eyebrow.

"Don't call me queen." Aridam scowled. "The people back in my hometown used to call me that. My name sounds like royalty enough, thank you."

Jinbe chuckled and offered a small apology to which she shrugged. He then took her to a private room with a fire burning brightly. Instead of instantly telling her to sit down, Jinbe hesitated and put the branding iron back down.

She crossed her arms and tilted her head. Shanks was right behind her and could already tell why Jinbe was hesitating.  

"What's wrong?" A gust of wind cooled them all down in the hot room. 

"Well, it's just that... it's really going to hurt."

"That small fire?" She laughed. "That's nothing, half of my whole body was burned off using magma, I'll be fine!"

Shanks blanched. What did she mean- the thought itself was terrible.

Jinbe himself looked shocked but did well hiding it. He then closed his eyes in respect and gave her his second reason. "And also... you'll have to take off your entire shirt for this."

Shanks hesitated and expected her to remove it completely without issue but to his surprise, she  didn't. She locked eyes with Shanks for a moment before looking away and clicking her tongue. With haste, she began removing her shirt.

"Don't say a damn thing, Shanks. And you," She nodded at Jinbe."be quick, I'm really hungry."

The branding iron came out a flaming orange, crackling with how hot it was. The shape of the metal was a small round sun, something she thought was a nice shape to have on her neck. But with Shanks's intense stare on her body- well, more-so her scars - she was growing irritated.

"Look, Shanks." She spoke with ease as Jinbe pressed the metal to her neck. She made sure not to flinch so that it'd look perfect on her neck. "I'm all scarred up, big deal. I was a slave for... apparently three years- they really like to hit for sport, you know."