10

"Don't leave, Aridam. Not again."

His pleading words remind her of when she'd first parted from him, the disappointment she had not cared for previously now washing over her in waves of guilt.

Guilt is overwhelming- it's a new feeling to her, one she does not understand. And, feeling threatened by it, she can only lower her head and nod.

Shakky knows what Aridam really wants, understands that Aridam is someone who seeks to venture the world for worthy challenges.

But Rayleigh and she can't help being selfish. They'd been too kind to release her before, and they will not make that mistake again.

So, she doesn't say anything when Aridam agrees.

But, Shanks does.

"Rayleigh."

All it takes is the calling of his name for the dark knight to understand. The room suddenly goes tense as the two stare each other down.

"She's just been freed from slavery, will you tie her down again?"

Aridams eyes widen. She tries to open her mouth to say something, but for some reason she finds she can't.

Rayleigh lit another cigarette.

"We let her go once. You know what happened after that."

"I do," The emperor nodded. "I also know, that you depriving her of the world will chain her heart down- and..."

Again, why was Shanks growing mad for her?

"She'll just be a slave again- without ever knowing what it's like to truly live, Rayleigh!"

She doesn't expect Rayleigh to change his mind- he never has. She'd pushed her luck far enough decades ago when she'd set sail so young.

That was literally the opportunity of a lifetime, and she won't get it again.

Shanks placed a hand on his sword. A dangerous indication.

She lifted her head to look at Rayleigh, only to find he was already looking at her. For some reason, his eyes widened.

Rayleigh looked down, clearly gritting his teeth with anger until he could finally relax.

"Fine."

Oh damn.

"But."

Damn it.

"She will stay and train with me for three- possibly four years."

Shanks frowned but Aridam finally found her voice. She chuckled as the red head glared at her.

"I agree. I needed the training anyway- I've got to catch up with the times. Plus, I can tell Marco could have completely beat me up, I can't ever let that happen."