𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎: 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐖𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧

"With you by my side, my heart sings,
Your love is a melody that forever rings,
You light up my world, oh how it gleams,
In your embrace, I find my dreams."

It's 7 a

It's 7 a.m. in the morning, and me and my cousins are sitting in our pyjamas in the field, next to which is a beautiful pond filled with lotus. We are playing our usual games sitting on the laid-out blanket when my brother asks me a funny truth, which is, "What was my last Google search?" I opened my phone, but before I could answer, the phone was scratched out of my hands and into my brothers' hands.

"Oh, sissy, I didn't know you had thoughts like that about Ayaan already." Kanav said, and Shreshth looked at me with love in his eyes. My last search was 'How do I know I am in love?' I mean, I am not in love, but it's still good to know. "You're the one to say, I'm so sure your last search was probably, how should I masturbate properly?" And just like that, all of us burst into laughter.

Even though I didn't want this wedding, it reunited all my cousins after years and years of not meeting them. The last time we all spent time together was when I was probably 12 years old. My thinking is broken by my dad pulling me up from my sitting position into a standing position. He has a harsh and tight hold on my arm as he drags me away. "Dad, stop it; it hurts." As soon as he is far away, he starts screaming at me for not doing something I was supposed to. "I forgot; I am sorry," I say, with tears in my eyes.

"Of course you forgot; you forget everything. One day, you will forget to do your job, and then your boss will fire you. You're the most incapable and incompetent person in this family. Why don't you try to be better?" He screams in my face. "I am sorry," I say, pulling my arm from his hold and running away from him. It's like whenever he sees that I am smiling and happy, he just has to spoil it. It's also my fault; I shouldn't have forgotten: why do I like this? Did I have to be this disappointment that no one likes?

I try to find another field where I can be all alone and cry my heart out. As soon as I see a beautiful park with beautiful flowers where no one is there, I run inside and sit on the ground. And burst into tears. Even after years and years of him hitting me and screaming at me and never letting me be happy, I am still this overly emotional person. I tried to be less emotional, but that only made me the most insensitive person I could be.

I'm sitting on the ground with my knees to my chest and my face buried in my knees, sobbing until I can't anymore. That's when I felt someone tap my shoulder. "Go away," I say, stopping the crying because no one can see the bride crying. If anyone tells my dad, he will find new reasons to scream at me.

Someone taps my shoulders again. "I said go away." I say it again, this time a little angrier. They tap on my shoulder again, and this time I look up frustrated, saying, "What is your problem? Can no one let me be happy for once?" I said I hadn't seen who it was before coming face-to-face with Ayaan. I wiped my tears fast, but my swollen, wet eyes gave it all away.