14

Linda frowned at her daughter. "Did you sleep at all?"

Hanan laughed breathily. She had a carton of juice in hand which she sipped from occasionally. "I did not sleep much but I slept. You look beautiful, Mummy. Your hair is fine."

It was a nice distraction and Linda proudly turned around so Hanan could see her long twists. "Hauwa made it for me yesterday o. I could not believe that my hair has grown long like this."

Hanan smiled. "I did tell you that if you stopped relaxing it, it will grow out in a healthy way. You that wanted to cut it."

"Abeg leave me first...Yusuf! Hauwa! Shebi you people know that it is data we are burning?! Una know how data don dey cost!"

Hanan watched her mother through the screen. Her father and sister came into focus a minute later and they all exchanged greetings. Yusuf raised a brow and adjusted his glasses. "Hanan, why do you look like that?"

"I did not sleep for long." Hanan replied. "I had a long day yesterday."

"I hope they're not stressing you so much at work." Hauwa said. "They shouldn't overwork you just you're a corper."

Hanan shook her head. "No, it's not work related." She put the cap of the juice carton back in place and then put it aside. "It's something else. I called you all because I wanted to discuss it with you and get advice."

"Did somebody harass you?" Linda asked. "Because if one nonsense man carried his dick and –"

Hanan quickly cut in. "No one harassed me, Mummy. No one is stupid enough to do that."

She'd beat the living daylight out of them. Her mother had taught her that much and Hauwa was a role model when it came to dealing with disrespectful men.

Linda cleared her throat, purposely not turning to look at her husband who eyed her. "Are you okay sha? Is it the area? You don't like Abuja? You want to redeploy?"

Hanan shook her head again. "No, it's not any of that."

"Then what is it?" Yusuf asked. "Because you don't like beating around the bush and I'm getting nervous over the fact that you're stalling."

Hanan slowly let out a long breath. "So, there is a man..."

"Ah!" Hauwa clapped her hands. Even though they were states apart, her excitement could be felt in waves. "Oshey! Already! Their father!"

"So you meant it when you said that you want to marry and leave my house." Yusuf eyed his daughter. "You went to Abuja in September and all of a sudden, you are coming to tell me that there is man."

Linda hit her husband's arm. "No dey talk dat kain thing jor." She eagerly turned back to her daughter. "Hanan, carry on. There is a man. Ehen?"

"He's really nice and I like him but it's complicated."

"Tell us about him." Yusuf requested. He frowned when her words settled. "And what do you mean by it's complicated?"

Hanan swallowed. After a silent plea to the Almighty for courage, she began. "His name is Zayd Sa'ed Dantata and he already has a wife. You already know that he's my boss and well, that's about it."

The silence she received roared loudly in her ears. It was very ironic because no silence should be that loud. Her family members stared back at her, unmoving. If it were not for the blinking of their eyes, she would have sworn the video call was frozen. Yusuf was the first to recover.

"Hanan," Disbelief laced his tone. "What have you been up to in Abuja?"

There was nothing as painful as her father suspecting the worst of her. Hanan's vision immediately blurred with a fresh wave of tears. "Nothing. I swear I have been responsible and principled." He had to believe her. "I will never ruin a marriage, Daddy. You know that."