40

One of the things that changed at Hayd's was Hanan's office; a space that used to be Zayd's.

The brick walls were now replaced with full length glass walls that gave those who walked down the hallway an opportunity to look into the office as long as the thick space blue curtains were pulled apart. It was the same way Zayd's office was at Architected by Zayd Dantata and Hanan wanted that so badly that he called the original constructors of his company to get it done for her over the break.

It was the best thing. And it was going to be one of her worst.

She wore purple and as he stared at her from the other side of the open glass wall, Sean Oluwatobiloba Shekini told himself Zayd was a lucky bastard. He found it amazing how a colour could look so elegant on someone; as though she was a royal work of art that people had to pay heavily to see.

Hanan stood by her desk, engrossed in the document she was going over. Her brows were furrowed in concentration and her big round glasses made her more beautiful without even trying. Her purple A-shaped dress was made out of soft silk, a golden sash around her waist. The chiffon sleeves covered her entire arm length and clinched to her wrists, a bit of lace on the round curves. A matching purple veil was wrapped as a turban around her head.

Sean had it on so many women since he and Sarah arrived Abuja. Those women usually left the back of their hair opened when they the turban but the only strands of Hanan's hair he could see were the baby hairs on her hairline; baby hair that had been brushed back.

Sean was completely bewitched. He told himself once again that Zayd Dantata was a lucky bastard.

Hanan raised her head then and her eyes met his. She lowered the document she held and Sean exhaled slowly before he smiled at her. He turned and walked to the door, knocking once before he let himself in.

His smile widened. "I apologize for staring, Mrs Dantata. I was just captivated by the beauty of your office." He did not offer his hand for a handshake although that was what he wanted to do so badly. "Dr Sean Oluwatobiloba Shekini, Esquire."

Her eyes widened in recognition and she smiled, dropping the now closed document on the desk. "I'm so sorry, I did not recognize you."

He laughed, waving it off. "It's alright. I've been told I become a different person when I'm out of formal wear."

She nodded, laughing. "That's true." She gestured towards the sitting area where velvet chairs sat around a wooden table. "Please have a seat. Can I get you anything?"

"What are my options, Mrs Dantata?"

"Please just call me Hanan." Her smile was dazzling. "In response to your question, I have tea, coffee, soft drinks and juice. Oh, there's water too."

He stared at her for a long moment and his smile would not disappear or shrink. "Water will be fine for now, Hanan."

"Are you sure?"

He nodded. "I am."

She got him a bottle of water from the fridge and got another for herself. They made themselves comfortable on opposite sides of the table. She picked up one of the neatly stacked notepads and opened a fresh page. She then uncapped one of the numerous pens and smiled at him once again.

"I hope your ride here was smooth, Dr Shekini. I'm sorry, I should have asked that earlier."

"It's alright, Hanan. Please call me Sean. Dr Shekini makes me feel older than I am."

She nodded with a small laugh. "Very well, Sean. I'll do that."

"And yes, my ride was smooth. It's hard to miss the company with a structure so magnificent. The interior is even better."