41

Zayd hated the fact that there were too many loopholes in the Nigerian security system. He also hated the fact that he could not get another country's security force involved as the crime had been committed within Nigeria's shores and not outside it.

They could not catch Sean or the help and it was only a matter of time before the matter would be swept under the rug unless he was willing to go all the way to see it to the end. He wanted to do it but Hanan's mental health was at stake so he had to check with her first.

That, unfortunately, would have to wait until she was willing to talk about what had happened.

She kept to herself the entire weekend, quietly allowing him or Amal hold her as the hours went by. He called her parents on Monday morning when she gave him the go ahead and their phone call was a teary one.

Linda and Hauwa wanted to come over but she did not want them to. She assured them she was going to be fine. The Dantatas were called next and they were around by Zuhr. Zafeenah, who had been told to rest since the birth of her son, came with him and her husband and Hanan ended up crying again. They stayed until after Maghrib.

The next morning, the ladies came to visit. Catherine, who was so close to her due date, was ready to murder. Asma played the part of a guilty friend so well.

"I am so sorry, Hanan." She cried. "If I had known he was that sort of man, I would have never recommended you to Sarah."

Hanan shook her head, managing a small smile. "It's alright, Asma. You had no idea. Please stop crying."

When they all turned away, Asma smiled to herself and mentally applauded her perfect act. After Isha, when only three of them were left, Hanan sniffled. "They didn't find him, right?"

Zayd exhaled. "Hanan –"

"Right?"

He nodded slowly after a long moment stretched. "Right...I'm sorry."

Her smile was small. "It's not your fault. At least having you there stopped the worst from happening so thank you." She turned to Amal. "You should really stop crying, Amal. You're breaking my heart."

"How are you so strong, Hanan?" Amal asked, lips quivering. "How are you okay?"

Hanan shrugged. "Allah loves me, I guess." Her smile widened when Zayd and Amal laughed. "You two should stop sulking. It's killing my vibe."

Zayd wanted to laugh again. "What vibe?"

"Leave me alone..." She sniffled. "We should let it go."

Their faces fell. Zayd spoke first. "Hanan, we shouldn't do –"

"We should let it go." She repeated, smiling as she did so. "It's only going to drag on and we're going to spend a lot of money."

"You need to get justice." Amal told her. "We can't just let it go."

Hanan adjusted her hijab. "Allah will handle it. I've prayed for justice and He is the Most Just so... I'm just going to –" She stopped when a wave of nausea hit her.

Zayd reached for her, worry written all over his face. "Hanan?"

Amal was just as worried. "Hanan, are you okay?"

Hanan covered her mouth with a hand and forced herself up, rushing into the bathroom. Amal faced Zayd. "Was it the pudding Catherine brought? She did say she had never tried it before."

Zayd rose to his feet. "I think it is."

They went after her and found her kneeling in front of the toilet, throwing up everything she had eaten. They both rubbed her back and helped her clean up. When she finished brushing, she made a face.