39

Despite Laetitia's assurance that they had sorted out everything overnight, Zayd and Hanan left the resort first thing after Fajr on December 28th. They went straight home. They did not leave until Amal called on the evening of December 29th to let them know she had landed in Abuja and she wanted them to come pick her up.

"You aren't supposed to be back until next tomorrow." Zayd said to her over the phone as he and Hanan hurried to get changed from the sleepwear they had been in all day.

"Well, I got bored of the whole programme and Emeka was trying to be a feet licker so I came back home. Now are you coming to get me or do I call an Uber?!"

"Hold your horses, Amal Dantata, we're on our way."

Amal was more excited to see Hanan and Zayd let them have their moment. When Hanan filled her in on what had happened at the resort, Amal was ready to get in the next car and find each culprit so she could commit murders and then go to jail for it. They spent the last days of the year together, doing whatever came to mind and just enjoying each other's company.

Before the clock struck midnight on December 31st, Amal said "This coming year, I hope we achieve all we set out for all twelve months. I also hope we're happier than we've been so far."

Hanan smiled at her. "Me too."

Zayd munched on a pack of potato chips on another couch, his eyes trained on the television screen where the Harry Potter marathon they had been watching since morning played. "Me three."

"And I hope we get a baby!" Amal said and squealed, burying her face in the cushion she held. "God, please let us get a baby!"

Hanan was amused. "You want me to have a baby that badly?"

"Of course!" Amal faced her. "Zayd and I will spoil you rotten and we'll have so much fun going shopping. We'll have getaways too and we'll paint rooms and assemble cots!" She squealed again. "I'm already so excited!"

Hanan turned to look at Zayd. She had to laugh at the way he stared at Amal with a chip halfway to his mouth. Amal kept squealing and making plans. Zayd shook his head, turning back to the screen. "You are not going to kill me, Amal."

A few houses away, Asma accepted the incoming call and brought her phone to her ear. "Hello, Danbaba?"

"She's in Nigeria, Madam. She just landed."

Asma's smile started out slowly. "Very well, Danbaba. Thank you. You'll get your money now."

"Thank you, ma!"

"You're welcome."

~*~

The new certificate of incorporation from the Corporate Affairs Commission arrived on January 2nd despite it being a Sunday. Hanan knew Zayd had everything to do with it. She was the one who got the documents at the door of Amal and Zayd's house as three of them were still staying together. When she skimmed through all the papers, her eyes widened and she could not stop herself from screaming.

"Zayd Sa'ed Dantata!"

Zayd – who was in the kitchen – immediately stepped out. "Why did you scream like that? Did something happen?"

She raised the documents in reply and walked over to where he stood. "Zayd, what did you do?"

He glanced at the papers. "Oh, that." He grinned. "I couldn't stop myself and Jonathan said it was nice."

"And you did not inform me or try to get my opinion before you went ahead to do what you and Jonathan wanted?"

"You were going to say no so..." He shrugged. "I went on with it anyway."