28

"Whatever happens, tell yourself that it's just for a day. By tomorrow evening In Shaa Allah, you'll be back to Abuja and we'll be there waiting for you. If it's unbearable, let Amal, Zayd or any of your new family members know. Do you understand me, Hanan?"

Hanan, who knelt at her father's feet with her head lowered, nodded. "Yes sir."

It was 6:15AM and the women were ready to leave for Kano. Most of the Sufyan family members were to stay back. Only a number of aunts were to accompany Hanan with her bridesmaids. Yusuf continued to advise his daughter and she nodded, blinking back tears and sniffling at intervals.

Hanan wore green. The mermaid dress sewn to perfection by Badasky was a lovely combination of sea green and white, hugging her frame with enough allowance so her body could breathe. The alkyabba was carob green in colour, decorated with flowers cut out of the Ankara material of the dress. The deep hood was pulled down, exposing the turban headpiece Amal had personally tied with the same dress material that had been kept aside for that sole purpose.

She ended up crying and Yusuf pulled her up to hug her

She ended up crying and Yusuf pulled her up to hug her. He repeatedly told her she would be okay. Linda hugged her next. "Be a good girl, okay? You're going to be fine, Hanan." She pulled back and smiled tearily. "Okay?"

With glassy eyes, Hanan nodded. "Okay."

Linda's smile widened as she wiped away her daughter's tears. "Oya stop crying. Don't keep the others waiting."

Goodbyes were said and her alkyabba's hood was pulled over her head to hide her face from prying eyes. Zainab and Aliyah were the ones who led her out of the house, Amal and Zafeenah right behind them and then Zayd's aunts. Catherine, Hussayna, Asma, Jameelah, Hauwa, Ashanti, Efua and Jane were some of the last people out and they rode with others in one of the tinted coaster buses with covered number plates for security reasons; courtesy of Zayd's uncle who was Africa's richest man. He was part of those waiting for them in Kano.

When the vehicles left the compound, Linda finally allowed herself cry. Yusuf smiled as he hugged her. "It's alright, sweetheart. She'll be fine. They all will be."

Zainab held Hanan's hand throughout the ride to the airport and the latter was grateful. The group of women was split in two when they arrived as most of them were to take the chartered flight while the others were to take the private planes. Once again, Zainab and Aliyah led Hanan all the way, one of Nate's representatives capturing each second.

Amal, Zafeenah, Hauwa, Hussayna, Ashanti and Efua joined them, Nancy being the last one in as she was to do Hanan's make-up while they were up in the air. Amal squatted in front of Hanan and smiled when the latter pulled back her hood. "Hey, sweetheart."

Hanan immediately smiled back. "Seeing you just makes me happy."

Amal's smile widened. "Same here. I hope you're feeling better now."