V. We Must Be Burdens Now

Chapter 5,
     We Must Be Burdens Now
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   "This is our punishment, we are given the burden of teaching possibly enemies." Tikki grunted as she gripped her hunting knife, Mi'kayah rolled her eyes.

  The two girls had come to the conclusion that having to teach the Sullys how to learn the ways of being a Metkayina, was their punishment for staying out later than curfew. However, Saraiyah hadn't officially confirmed it. It was frustrating hearing Tikki go on and on about how she didn't like this punishment nor the Omaticaya clan.

  "Will you stop?!" Mi'kayah snapped, it was annoying even that they had accidentally strayed further than intended.

Tikki looked at her sister and hissed at her, but nonetheless she stopped her complaining. The two were turned around to walk back where they had came from when there was a small sound. It came from behind them, and since Tikki was the one with the weapon, Mi'kayah hid behind her.

  "Who is there?! Show yourself!" Tikki looked around, the area and waited for the person or animal to present itself before running off.

  "Mawey! Mawey!" A voice responded as he walked out from behind the trees.

  It was Neteyam along with his little brother Lo'ak, they must have been doing what the girls were and lost track of how far they were.

  "What are you doing out here, this is not your clan!" Tikki seethed, but was quickly met with a slap on the back of her neck by Mi'kayah.

  "Never mind that, are you lost?" Mi'kayah's voice was soft and much more quieter than Tikki's.

  The only reason for that was because they would be in trouble for not welcoming the Sullys the correct way, Mi'kayah and Tikki were taughter manners. Lo'ak looked at his brother and clenched his jaw, the air was tensing up.

  "No we are not, we know how to get back." Lo'ak spat as he looked at Tikki, returning the same venom she gave him.

  Neteyam looked at his brother and tugged at his braids before looking at Mi'kayah, it seemed like they were the only two speaking with respect at the moment.

  "We do not know the way back, I apologize for my baby brother. Can we follow along?" Neteyam asked, Tikki furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at her older sister.

The young girl was praying to Eywa that her sister would say no and walk off but she knew better, Mi'kayah had a pure heart of gold.

  "Yes of course!" The Metkayina girl beamed, ignoring the hisses that belonged to her sister.

  As the four Na'vi kids walked back to their clan, Mi'kayah couldn't help but think back to what Tikki had said earlier, about the Sullys. It was wrong of Tikki to say that they were a burden but in actuality, were they really?

  Perhaps the true Burdens here were Tikki and Mi'kayah, it wouldn't be the first time the eldest Ewan'itan girl had thought like this, and it surely won't be the last. Tikki walked off to go find Aonung so she could complain about how nice her sister is to the outsiders, as for Mi'kayah, she walked the boys back to their marui.

  "Where were you two?!" Their father, Jake, asked as he watched his two sons finally arrive.

  "They were with me Mr. Sully, I apologize. I wanted them to see how the Metkayina clan worked, and even showed them the place where me, my sister and Tsireya would be teaching them." Mi'kayah lied straight to Jake's face.

  The Omaticaya man looked at her and nodded his head, his facial expressions softening as the girl threw a slight smile toward him to seal the deal. Mi'kayah could have sworn she heard Neteyam's sigh of relief, he must be so used to taking the blame.

  "Thank you Mi'kayah, would you like to stay for dinner?" Jake offered, he was trying to be warm and welcoming but Mi'kayah wasn't ready to be alone with the family.

  "Thank you for the offer, but I should get back to my mother. I'm not allowed out before eclipse." Mi'kayah replied softly, before saying goodbye to the Sullys.

  It became clear on the walk back to her hut that the Sullys were not the problem nor the burdens.  Neither was she, the only burden there was, was having to figure out how to get Tikki from trying to kill Lo'ak.

  But that's a future Mi'kayah problem and not a present one.