XXXVI. Oel Ngati Kameie, Neteyam

Chapter 36,
     Oel Ngati Kameie, Neteyam
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Tikki took her hunting knife as Mi'kayah walked to the edge of the rock and called for her ilu. They were going to avenge their youngest. Kiri and Tuk didn't want them going alone, not wanting them to fight on their own. Lo'ak stood by Saraiyah, comforting her.

  "Ma Kayah, where are you going?" Neteyam questioned as he walked after her.

 "He took my sister away from me Neteyam. I want to take him away from his family." Mi'kayah seethed as she turned to the boy.

  She was fuming, angry at the fact she should have done something to protect her sister at all costs, and sad that she had watched her sister fade into nothing, she was gone. Mi'kayah couldn't even cry, she didn't know what to feel anymore. She was the reason for their father to have died, and now she is the reason for her sister to be gone as well.

  "I cannot let you leave Mi'kayah, it is dangerous!"

  "Neteyam, this is not up to you. I am going!" Mi'kayah raised her voice, Jake and Neytiri noticed but were unsure.

  Saraiyah's wails tuned them out, she was distraught. Tuk held onto Kiri as tears fell, she had lost her best friend.

  "Mi'kayah, I can't let you go. I don't want to lose you." Neteyam's voice broke as he held onto Mi'kayah's hand.

  "I AM THE CAUSE OF MY SISTER'S DEATH NETEYAM!" Mi'kayah screamed, and finally she snapped.

  The tears began to fill her eyes until it overflowed, and she began to sob. Her knees buckled as she finally felt remorse, Neteyam hugged her.

  "If only I could, Neteyam I would switch places with her. If Eywa allowed it."

Neteyam's ears flattened as he looked at Tikki, who refused to make eye contact with anyone. She dove into the water and got onto Mi'kayah's ilu, when Mi'kayah was ready, she would return her ilu to her. Kiri and Tuk followed Tikki into the water.

  "It is not your fault, my sweet syulang." Neteyam cooed as he stroked her hair.

  Tsireya held onto Aonung as she cried, Leia was like her little sister. It felt good to have someone younger than you, to watch over and protect. That feeling is gone now, and it will never return. Never.

  Mi'kayah looked up at Neteyam and raised her hand to his cheek, cupping his face. The girl thought back to what she had thought earlier in the month, how she would rather die than confess her love to Neteyam. She didn't want to die without sharing her feelings, even if it was unclear that she was next to die.

  "Oel ngati kameie, Neteyam." Mi'kayah spoke softly, catching him off guard.

  "Oel ngati kameie, Ma Kayah." He responded, before pulling her by her waist into a kiss.

  The kiss was passionate and soft, it was filled with love and yet filled with sorrow. As if Neteyam was trying to keep her from remembering everything that had pained her before. Once they pulled away, they hugged tightly. Saraiyah looked at Mi'kayah as she got up from the ground.

  Without saying a word, Mi'kayah arose from the ground and hugged her mother tightly. It was silent, before Jake looked towards Neytiri.

  "They have our daughters."