★彡01|08 - "They love us very much."彡★

That evening Lonnie wasn't with Y/n as she took her food and headed outside. It was sunny and she was going to find a good spot with an empty table until she realized that there weren't any empty tables. Groups of friends had already dominated the space, leaving a few tables for overworking students that had spread their materials all over the tables and a few had even used the benches.

She looked around, narrowing her eyes to see if there was a log or anything or she'd have to deal with the awkwardness of heading back inside and admitting defeat.

"Y/n!" someone called. "Y/n, over here!"

The girl looked around until she spotted a familiar boy, waving at her from across the yard. She raised her hand and smiled, signaling that she'd seen him, and he let his hand down, seating himself once again.

Y/n went over to the table with her tray, positioning herself on the bench across from Evie and beside Carlos. The boy gave her a smile and a nudge and Evie smiled, too, acknowledging her presence. Maleficent's daughter simply stared, twirling her fork in her food in thought. Jay leaned a bit onto the table to get a good look at the girl.

"What?" Y/n asked quietly, trying her best to not sound too snappy. "Is there a twig in my hair?"

Jay shrugged, going back to his food, as did Evie, but the girl in purple kept staring. "Tell me, Y/n," she started. "Why are you so friendly?"

"You haven't given me a reason not to be," Y/n smiled. "Sure, you might be the kids of villains but I don't see why your heritage should define you."

Maleficent's daughter's eyes widened and her shoulders tensed up and the other three seemed to stop breathing for a moment too. Then the girl in purple relaxed, chuckling. "Yeah, I guess so. I'm Mal, by the way. I don't think you know that yet."

"You're correct to think that," Y/n nodded. "So, why did you decide to accept the invitation to come to Auradon?"

"Our parents sort of made us accept it," Jay quipped from the other side of Carlos.

"Hm," Y/n let out. "That's interesting. My mother was all like you don't have to go, you know that? and you go to a good school here, too but I think she was just a bit afraid that leaving meant I didn't love her anymore."

"Isn't your mom Merida?" Evie asked. "I thought she was brave."

"She is, don't get me wrong, but Auradon and the North haven't exactly gotten along these past 20 years and she probably thought that inviting us was an attack in disguise instead of a peace offering." Y/n shrugged. "She's protective over her country like that."

"Her country?" Carlos asked.

"I'm the princess, so... So if someone kidnapped me they could probably ask big things for it."

"Like uniting the North with Auradon," Carlos nodded, realizing.

"And that could mean war, if everything went very, very wrong," Y/n finished before forcing a smile. "But, y'know, it doesn't matter because everything is good so far." Y/n smiled. "Your parents must love you so much if they gave you the opportunity to come here. It must be a big change for you."

"Yeah," Carlos breathed, dropping his fork for a moment to smile at Y/n. "They love us very much."