demeanor [21]

"I can't go to your practice today."

"What, why?" Tōru whined, frowning. He was swinging your intertwined hands back and forth as you walked back to your classroom.

You weren't used to the physical feeling of someone else, but you just let him do whatever.

"I have to go home and study, I got a test coming up" you explained Tōru just frowned, looking at the floor. You sighed, "sorry."

He gently squeezed your hand, "it's okay– can't you study in the library? Then we could walk home together afterwards!" He suggested.

"I don't want to bother you after practice, really, I'd like you to head home as quickly as possible and rest. I heard you have some tournament coming u–"

"You won't be bothering," he reassured stopping you to speak directly at you, "really I'd feel a lot more refreshed and healed if I got to see you after practice." He timidly scratched the back of his head, looking down.

"But if you really don't want to, that's fin–"

"I'll chill in the library after school," you summed, "just let me know when you're done, okay?"

He grinned, "will do!" then leaned in to peck your head, you squeezed your eyes shut, flustered, still not used to his physical affection.

He dropped you off at your classroom and joyfully skipped away to his.

He noticed Iwaizume was nowhere in sight; he hadn't come to school that day.

I wonder why

Tōru chuckled.

School was over, you sat scribbling away on some notes after Tōru had walked you to the library.

Honestly you didn't want to study in the library, you just wanted to go home. But Oikawa begged and you just knew he would be moody if you didn't do as asked. Plus you didn't want to go through the risk of running into Akira on your way home.

Time passed, you got a notification on your phone. You furrowed your eyebrows, confused; you had put your phone on Do Not Disturb.

The light from the screen was a little too bright as you let out a 'ah'.

Iwaizume-Kun:
Can we talk?

Oh what the fuck.

Y/n:
i don't know
i'm a little busy right now

Iwaizume-kun:
Are you home?

Y/n:
no
i'm still at school
supposed to be studying

IwaiuzmeAKum-
Oh
I won't take too much of your time
Please?

Y/n:
okay then

You sighed, placing your phone back down on the table and trying your best to focus back on the papers in front of you.

It hadn't even been five minutes since you last replied to Iwaizume that you received another message telling you he was at the school, so in simpler words; he was already on his way over before you had agreed to talk to him.

It was darker and chilly outside, you saw Iwaizume in a black hoodie with gray sweats, he awkwardly smiled at you.

You gave him a thin smile in return. He sighed.

"Hey"

You looked away to the floor.

I don't even know what to talk to him about.

"How come you weren't at school today?" You blurted out the first thing that popped into mind.

You didn't see him as he slightly widened his eyes, you were still looking down.

"I wasn't feeling well."

"Do you have a fever?"

He hesitated, "no, more like a stomachache."

You let out an 'ohh', nodding your head understandingly.

It was quiet, you checked the time on your watch.

Iwaizume wracked his brain for a way to correctly word his question. He finally spoke up, only to get quickly interrupted.

"So, are you and Oik–"

"Y/n-chan!" Oikawa jogged over to you from behind Iwa, you waved. "Let's go home now– oh, Iwa-Chan!" He finally acknowledged the boy.

"Hey" Hajime gave him a quick hello, you could tell something was off by the way he physically turned his body away from Tōru.

"What were you two talking about?" Oikawa stood next to you.

"Nothing" Iwaizume 'summed', you were a bit confused.

"Well then," Oikawa turned to look at you then back at Iwa, "I think we should get going now, y/n" he motioned forward with his head.

You just nodded and mumbled out a goodbye to Iwa.

You two had made a good distance from the school when Oikawa finally spoke. "So what we're you two actually talking about?"

You glanced at him then back down at your feet.

"Nothing really, he wanted to talk about something but we only spoke of as to why he wasn't at school today; he said he wasn't feeling well." You summed.

"Pffft, right." Oikawa let out sarcastically, catching you off guard as he rolled his eyes.  You looked at him, a little dumbfounded.

"What do you mean by that?" You had a hint of attitude in your voice, which only worsened Oikawa's mood.

"Why are you talking to me like that? I didn't mean anything by it, stop assuming things." He changed his demeanor to of someone being upset, yet you could hear the hint of sass still.

You paused, literally stopping to fully comprehend what was just said.  Oikawa saw as you so obviously looked confused then ashamed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like that" you pulled on your ear flap.

Oikawa just examined you with his eyes for a second before grabbing your hand that was fidgeting. "It's okay, just be careful with your words, sometimes you shouldn't say things if you don't know how someone will take it, y'know?" He pulled you into his hold, close to your face, before leaning down and planting a quick kiss on your forehead.

You instinctively squeezed your eyes shut.

"Right."