#14 - Almost Winter

song of the chapter!
Coldplay - Sparks

•••

After enjoying their ramen meal, the time had come to bid farewell to Sakura's grandparents. While they hadn't interacted much with her grandfather, who was busy cooking in the restaurant, they had exchanged greetings with him.

"We'll definitely be back, Grandma," Sakura assured with a bright smile, giving her grandmother a warm hug before departing.

Iwaizumi followed, bowing respectfully and expressing his intention to return. The elderly woman waved them off, her own smile reflecting their cheerful goodbyes.

With the clock reading 8pm, the moon illuminated their path as Sakura and Iwaizumi walked home together.

"I'll walk you home, Sakura," Iwaizumi insisted, a protective edge to his tone. Sakura nodded appreciatively, saying, "Alright."

As they strolled, a sudden chill settled in the air, causing Sakura to rub her hands together in an attempt to warm them.

"I forgot that it's almost winter time," she commented, her breath misting in the cold. Noticing her discomfort, Iwaizumi had an idea. "Give me your hand," he requested, and Sakura obeyed.

In a surprising move, he interlocked his fingers with hers and slipped their joined hands into his pockets. "I've got a high tolerance for cold, so this should help warm you up," he explained, his voice gentle and comforting.

Sakura's cheeks flushed at his unexpected gesture, feeling her heart skip a beat.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

As they continued walking, their hands still intertwined, Sakura's attention was drawn to her untied shoelace. "Oh, hang on," she started to bend down to fix it, but before she could, Iwaizumi immediately knelt down to tie it for her.

Sakura's heart raced as she watched Iwaizumi gracefully kneel to tie her shoelaces.

In an almost reflexive action, she gently ran her fingers through his hair, a gesture that caught him off guard but clearly didn't seem unwelcome.

Iwaizumi straightened up slowly, their eyes meeting in a moment that seemed to stretch on for several seconds. The air felt charged with unspoken emotion as they locked eyes.

Eventually, Iwaizumi broke the silence, his voice laced with vulnerability. "Can I kiss you?" he asked, a hint of uncertainty in his tone.

Sakura's heart soared at his request, a mixture of surprise and happiness bubbling within her.

She gave him a nod, her blush deepening as she held his gaze. Iwaizumi's smile in response to her flustered state was both reassuring and endearing.

With mutual consent hanging in the air, he leaned in slowly, his lips meeting hers in a tender and unhurried kiss.

It was a moment that felt like time had momentarily stopped, wrapping their feelings in a simple yet heartfelt gesture.

The kiss remained for a few precious seconds before they naturally pulled back, their gazes locked in a shared moment of connection.