Chapter 3 - Embers from the past

The soft light of the early morning sun gently filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow across the room. I stirred on the floor, my body stiff and aching from the uncomfortable position I had fallen asleep in. With a groan, I slowly pushed myself up, wincing at the dull pain in my back.

My gaze fell upon my sister, still sound asleep beside me. Her peaceful expression offered a stark contrast to the turmoil that churned within me. Gently, I extricated myself from beneath the covers, careful not to disturb her sleep.

The room felt different in the morning light, quieter and more subdued. The remnants of my emotional outpouring from the night before were evident in the tear-stained pillow and the disarray of my surroundings. I sighed, my body aching both from the emotional strain and from the tension of crying for hours.

As I stretched my limbs and sat up on the edge of the bed, exhaustion weighed heavily on my shoulders. The tears had left me drained, both physically and mentally. I rubbed my temples, trying to alleviate the dull ache that throbbed in my head.

Quietly, I got to my feet, wincing as my sore muscles protested the movement. I padded over to the window and pulled the curtains aside, allowing more of the morning light to flood the room. The view outside was serene, a stark contrast to the turmoil that had consumed my thoughts the previous night.

I took a deep breath, trying to shake off the heaviness that clung to me. The events of the evening replayed in my mind, each word and glance etched vividly. Professor Sharp's demeanor had shattered my hopes, leaving behind a sense of loss and confusion. I quietly rummaged through my belongings, finding a change of clothes to freshen up.

Once dressed in clean clothes, I settled into a chair by the window, gazing out at the castle grounds. The world outside was full of life and movement, a stark contrast to the heaviness I felt inside. The morning breeze brushed against my skin, and I closed my eyes, relishing the momentary tranquility.

A soft rustling from the bed indicated that my sister was waking up. She stretched and yawned, blinking as she adjusted to the light. Our eyes met, and she offered me a sleepy but genuine smile. "Katie?" she called out sleepily.

I offered her a small smile, walking over to sit on the edge of the bed, facing her. "Morning," I greeted softly.

"Did you sleep at all?" she asked, her brow furrowing in worry.

I chuckled softly, brushing a strand of hair from her face. "A little. It wasn't the most restful night, but I'm okay."

She reached out and squeezed my hand, her eyes filled with understanding. "I wish I could take away your pain, you know."

"I know," I replied, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. "Just having you here helps more than you can imagine."

Concern flickered across Olivia's face as she propped herself up on her elbows. "Do you at least wanna talk about it?"

I hesitated, not quite ready to share the details of my unsettling encounter with Professor Sharp. "I had a rough night," I said evasively.

"Does this have anything to do with your meeting with Sharp?" A smile of admiration graced my lips at her question. My sweet little sister.

"Actually, Livy, I'm feeling quite hungry. How about we make our way to the Great Hall for breakfast?" I suggested, attempting to wear an innocent smile. The way she tilted her head, lips pressed together, indicated that she had caught onto my attempt at diversion.

Unfortunately, she wasn't ready to change the subject. Just as she was about to speak again, I gently cradled her cheeks and sighed. "Listen, this year, you're my priority. I came back to be close to you and take care of you after everything we went through last year." She lowered her head and fell into silence. "What happened to me last night is not important."