Chapter 18 - Healing

"Aesop..." Her name was the first thing that escaped her lips as she slowly opened her eyes. I turned to her, savoring the final sip of my firewhisky before carefully placing the glass on the mantelpiece, where I had leaned just moments ago.

Approaching her with measured steps, I couldn't help but admire Katherine's striking beauty. She lay on her side, her dress cascading like a waterfall, a curtain of black wool partially covering the red velvet of the chaise longue on which I had placed her before.

"How are you feeling?" I inquired, attempting to maintain a calm and composed tone, though my concealed concern for her was palpable.

"Dizzy," she replied immediately, wincing as she attempted to sit up.

Swiftly, I fetched a stool that had been thoughtfully placed next to the chaise longue and positioned myself in front of her.

"No, don't move."

I placed the back of my hand against her forehead, but she was no longer feverish. An audible sigh of relief escaped me as our gazes locked. My hand ventured down her now-cool cheek and found its way to her neck.

"What happened?" She inquired while remaining reclined, her delicate hand resting on my forearm.

"You fainted after attempting to heal Bruce," I explained, the undertone of reproach still present in my voice, and I witnessed her expression crumble.

"Are you mad at me?" She whispered softly, her chest rising and falling more rapidly.

"I'm not angry, Katie, but I am disappointed in your actions," I responded, my hand now gently caressing her head as I ran my fingers through her hair.

For a brief moment, she closed her eyes under my touch, then reopened them gently. "I'm sorry... I thought..."

"I understand," I interjected, cutting her off.

I had no desire to hear her apologies; I already comprehended the motivations behind her actions. Katherine possessed an extraordinary ability to empathize with others, which had always fascinated me. However, her actions today had placed her life in peril, something I couldn't condone.

"How did you bring me here?" She asked, endeavoring to shift the conversation.

"After you left to attend to Bruce," her cheeks flushed once more. "I spoke with Martins regarding his unworkable suggestion, emphasizing that you would never employ your magic on patients."

"I'm so sorry..." she murmured once again, her grip on my arm tightening.

Ignoring her apologies, I continued, "I also asked him to lift the enchantment on the room, allowing us to Apparate here, and saving precious time instead of relying on carriage travel in emergency situations."

"You brought me back by Apparating?" Her lips parted in astonishment; her eyes now bright with surprise.

"I did."

"But... your leg?" She coupled her question with a caress on my leg, sending a shiver through my entire body. It was both a pleasurable and excruciating sensation. Firmly, I placed my hand over hers and gently intertwined our fingers to release her hand.

"I'm alright," I replied curtly, not really appreciating her reminder of my disability. If there was one thing I wished she would forget, it was that.

She got the message and nodded gently, her eyes settling on our intertwined hands, eliciting an adorable smile that lit up her face. She began to sit up, wincing again, her cheeks taking on a slight rosy hue.

"Pain? Where?" I immediately inquired, scrutinizing her carefully.

"My back," she replied.

"Get on your knees in front of me," I ordered, abruptly letting go of her hand.