Chapter 34 - Transitions

There wasn't a muscle that didn't make me suffer this morning. I was still sore from the nights I spent sleeping on the floor of the damp cell of the detention center. And the night I just spent with Sharp had in a way worsened my pain. The thing I could say about that was that he loved it rough. And I would lie if I said I didn't love it, despite the state it left me.

I winced when I had to stand on my tiptoe to catch Sebastian's coat that Sharp left on a hook beside the door. Sighing, I brushed my hair out of my face and placed my pouch across my shoulder.

Ignoring the throbbing in my temples, I poured myself a glass of bourbon, the taste bringing me back to the memory of the past night, and I smiled. I couldn't believe that all of this really happened. My heart was full of joy and love, ready to explode.

Me, Katie, had finally had the chance to spend the night with the man I'd wanted for years, and it was incredible. I leaned over the dresser for a second and buried my face in my hands to stop the rush of thoughts in my mind. I let out a cry of excitement, then raised my head, fearing that someone could hear me.

Shrugging my shoulders, I decided that with the noises I made this night, one more cry wasn't going to hurt anyone. I finished my drink and headed to the door, ready to go downstairs and join everyone. Sharp had left about 20 minutes ago; it was probably enough time to allow me to go without anyone doubting about us.

So, I finally left the room, descended the long spiral staircases with a hint of fear and excitement in my belly. I didn't know how we would react to be next to each other now that we couldn't be as close as we wanted.

Smiling politely, I let a family pass, pressing against the wall to give them space. I could feel the beats of my heart increased, anticipation rising in me. I knew it was stupid; I had just seen him a couple of minutes ago, but still, I was missing him already.

As soon as I arrived in the main hall of the inn, my eyes scanned every corner of the room, searching for his presence. I spotted him standing near a table, absorbed in a deep conversation. I wasn't even trying to see with whom he was talking, too impatient to join him.

I held back a smile, feeling my head spinning. I felt the urge to rush into his arms, but before I could stop myself, I felt a jolt that almost made me stagger backward.

"Katie!" Olivia exclaimed, squeezing me in her arms with force, almost preventing me from breathing. I winced in pain but wrapped my arms around her.

"You have to stop doing this, honey, unless you really want to hurt me more," I whispered to her ear, closing my eyes to enjoy her proximity.

I got so scared for her when I was in the detention center that the pain she was causing me was worth it. I just needed her to be safe near me when I can defend her just in case. If the ministry really wanted me for my Ancient Magic, nothing could hold them back from hurting Olivia if they found out she possessed the same ability as me.

"I'm sorry," she said before pulling back to scrutinize me, her eyebrows furrowed. "Where were you? I woke up in the middle of the night, and you were gone." She explained, observing me from head to toe.

Before I could answer, Sebastian came closer to me and held me in his arms in turns. As I did with my sister, I wrapped my arms around him and rose on my tiptoe, burying my face in the hollow of his shoulder for a brief moment. "I never wanted to scare you all," I said aloud before releasing my embrace.

"Where were you?" Sebastian inquired in a calm voice, grabbing my chin in his hand to turn my head before furrowing his brows.

I took the opportunity to glance at Sharp, who was coldly observing Sebastian's arm still around my shoulders. He frowned upon seeing Sebastian slowly trailing his finger over my skin, on my neck.