Chapter 16 - Two Bounded Lives

"I apologize, miss, but there's no record of a Michelle Lewis in our files," the hospital receptionist stated coldly, her voice tinged with annoyance.

"Please double-check," Sharp responded in a similar manner as he strode past me to the counter, casting a condescending glance at the young woman.

The receptionist refrained from rolling her eyes and stood up from her chair, presenting her registry filled with names and signatures. "Fine, see for yourself," she said crisply, pointing to the date from the previous day. "We haven't admitted anyone by that name to the hospital, let alone a nurse."

With a sigh, I leaned over the registry and meticulously examined the list of names. Two things caught my attention: first, the admission of Charles Cannet two days earlier, citing "multiple fractures" as the reason, and second, the word "deceased" next to Elis Jonas' name.

"Never mind... thank you, Miss," I murmured softly, forcing a polite smile.

Sharp placed his hand on my back, sending a shiver down my spine. I turned to him, and he signaled for me to move, leading me through the hospital corridors, presumably to visit Arlette again.

"Why didn't you tell me—"

"Not now, Katie," he immediately interrupted, quickening our pace.

Maintaining his hand on my back, he confidently guided me through the corridors, ultimately leading us to a dimly lit and secluded basement. He didn't pause even as we passed by Arlette's quarters, eliciting a surprised glance from me, which he disregarded with a shake of his head.

"Where are you taking us?" I inquired after a while, frustrated by the lack of information.

"The morgue," he declared simply, in an unemotional tone.

Anticipation tightened my throat, and he halted in front of a sturdy iron door, which he casually opened, motioning for me to enter first. What struck me immediately in the room was not just the somber atmosphere and bone-chilling cold but the overpowering smell.

The scent of death hung thickly in the air, and the odor of decaying flesh made me nauseous instantly. I instinctively covered my nose and mouth with my hand and turned to Sharp, who remained impassive before me.

The ambiance in the autopsy laboratory was laden with an aura of mystery. The dark stone walls, adorned with gothic motifs, contributed to the room's sinister vibe. Tall windows with frosted glass allowed in faint daylight, casting eerie shadows in every obscure corner.

He took me by the arm and pulled me unceremoniously towards the back of the room, where two iron tables were arranged facing each other. On one of these tables lay a body, shrouded in pristine white sheets. Sharp drew back the covering to unveil her face.

Despite the tragic circumstances of her death, the woman wore a serene expression. Her blonde hair had been meticulously styled, and her lips bore a delicate layer of red lipstick.

I slowly turned my head to the left and observed the small figure concealed beneath another sheet. "Is that Elis Jonas?" I inquired calmly, clenching my teeth to hold back the tears that had welled up in my eyes.

Sharp nodded and positioned himself between the two tables, facing me. "And Mary, his mother," he added, crossing his arms over his chest. "I ordered her exhumation yesterday after you left the hospital."

"You mean, after you made me leave?" I couldn't help but interject, still harboring bitterness.

"Do you really want to discuss that now?" he asked with annoyance, raising an eyebrow.

I sighed and quickly pushed my hair aside in a bun to get a clear view. "Never Mind," I brushed off as I approached the table to his left, lifting the sheet to gaze upon the lifeless body of the child I had cradled to sleep in my arms the previous day. "Why didn't you tell me yesterday that he had passed away?"