Chapter 12 - St Mungo's Hospital

A ray of sunlight pierced through the dark and threatening clouds that shrouded the sky. The bedroom at The Leaky Cauldron was bathed in a soft and warm glow, gently coaxing me to open my eyes. I ran my hand across my face to rub the sleep from my still-tired eyes and stretched in the chilly, creaking bed.

My gaze automatically drifted to the red-velvet chaise lounge where Sharp had spent the night. It was empty. I scanned the rest of the room, but there was no sign of him anywhere. He had likely left the room earlier in the morning.

The intricately carved wooden comtoise clock showed 8:15, and I still had some time before I needed to meet Paul Martins in the inn's main hall.

I lingered in bed for a moment, relishing the solitude as I curled up in the covers and enjoyed the sensation of Sharp's jacket that I had kept with me all night long. Memories of our evening and that moment when he had nearly succumbed to his desires flooded back.

His reasons for keeping his distance seemed increasingly incomprehensible, perhaps because he struggled to express what he truly felt. Since the beginning of the year, he hadn't mustered the courage to have a clear conversation with me about his feelings about me, intentionally leaving me in the dark and fueling my doubts.

Yet, I couldn't bring myself to stifle what I feel for him. I was aware that when I had started developing feelings for him, any romantic relationship between us would have been forbidden and could have had serious consequences. But today, I wasn't his student anymore; I was mature enough to make my own choices.

And he was the one I wanted, my deepest and most cherished desire. I had spent these four years away from him in torment, surviving rather than truly living, fighting each day not to succumb to the madness his absence cultivated in me.

I couldn't give up this fight and accept defeat. Even if he refused to let me breach the barriers he had erected around his heart, I would find a way to break down his defenses and show him that my feelings were genuine and real, far beyond the fantasies of a student for her professor.

In any case, his daily actions were a reflection of what they felt, a mirror to the desires he tried to bury deep within himself. He was deceiving himself and casting a veil over what could be purer.

The chiming of the clock snapped me back to reality. It was 8:45, and it was high time for me to get ready to join Sharp downstairs.

I let out a frustrated groan, extricating myself from the bed to face the chilly atmosphere of the room. I immediately headed to the bathroom to change and splash some water on my still-sleepy face. The cold was invigorating, despite the unpleasant sensation of being pricked by a thousand icy needles.

Closing the door, I removed Sharp's jacket and held it to my face, taking a deep breath. It still carried his scent, and I sat on the edge of the copper bathtub, cradling it in my arms for a moment to intoxicate myself with his fragrance.

The sound of the bedroom door's lock snapped me back to reality and brought a smile to my face. I stood up, placing the jacket aside to slip out of my nightgown, letting it glide down my body with a gentle caress of its soft, silky fabric against my chilled skin.

In a hurry to warm up, I swiftly put on fresh undergarments, stockings, and a corset that left me breathless. Over it, I donned a simple, ankle-length black wool dress that promised warmth throughout the day. I then arranged my hair into a casual bun and lightly dabbed cologne on my neck. After taking a deep breath, I left the bathroom with a hopeful smile, expecting to find Sharp there.

As I entered the room, my anticipation quickly turned into disappointment. Charles, who had been responsible for transporting our belongings to the room the previous day, was present, busily adding blankets to the couch.